00 S-10 Blazer - I smell antifreeze

This past weekend after doing a lot of driving, I now smell antifreeze a lot. Both outside and inside my vehicle is really smelling a lot like used antifreeze. I have a suspicion my heater core maybe failing, but I wanted to get some other opinions. It is a 2000 with 40k miles. Fortunately I did purchase an extended warranty. Any ideas of what I should check before I take it to my dealer.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts
00 S-10 Blazer - I smell antifreeze Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 7:43am From: snipped-for-privacy@mlug.missouri.edu (Michael=A0Roberts) This past weekend after doing a lot of driving, I now smell antifreeze a lot. Both outside and inside my vehicle is really smelling a lot like used antifreeze. I have a suspicion my heater core maybe failing, but I wanted to get some other opinions. It is a 2000 with 40k miles. Fortunately I did purchase an extended warranty. Any ideas of what I should check before I take it to my dealer.

-mike

Do you see it leaking? Are you loosing coolant?Wait did you say you have a warranty?Why check anything.Take it to the dealer have them check it gosh if its gonna be free dont waste your time...If it is the heater core too much of a pain to just do it and not get paid for it........Besides if its something else or if it damaged something else it may all be covered ....

Reply to
Steve Cook

Updates: A friend of mine, who is savy under the hood, looked at my Blazer last night. After some inspection, we found some corrosion around the water inlet neck for the upper radiator hose. Scrapping off some of this corrosion sent a steady stream of water/antifreeze shooting out. Ordering the part today.

My Blazer uses the orange antifreeze. After 40,000 miles, my cooling system was a disgusting mess. We are flushing the radiator while we have everything apart. I did not think I would have needed to flush my radiator until 60k. I have a feeling this contributed to the corroded hole in the inlet neck. Anyone seen anything like this before?

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

~~~~~~~

[...]

Mike, It happens.

I take it, from your second post, that your warranty will not cover the radiator. bummer.

good luck with the repair.... let ust know how it goes.

scrib abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Bear with it!!! I saw a Tv Documentary about GM and the Antifreeze they have been using since 1997, IT EATS GASKETS !!! THe Goverment is working on a recall or Secret Warrenty The First signs are A BROWN RUSTY looking Sludge on the inside of The Radiator Cap.. GM says that the antifreeze must be changed every 3 years ..

GOOD LUCK !!

Michael Roberts wrote:

Reply to
Santa