01 Silverado Dependibility

I am curious as to why no one responded to my survey question about car satisfaction It is nothing more than my own curiosity as to the change in the quality and reliability of the Automobile industry What prompted it was how can I get almost 2000.000 miles w/ three repairs on a 76 impala that ran like a top when I got rid of it (Road salt literally ate it up ) and why so many repairs on my 01 Silverado.

While I like the truck I am not happy with the amount of repairs. This was the most expensive I ever owned at the time of purchase

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Two thousand? Two million? (your numbers as shown don't make sense)

Road salt will eat up your 01 Silverado also....

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:51:36 GMT, "Larry and a Cat named Dub" wrote:

Lower quality control and cheaper parts from lowest bidder. GM has been strapped more and more by labors costs every years and they are always looking for ways to build them cheaper. I have a 2000 K3500 old style truck (not a Silverado) and I have had far more trouble with it under extended warranty than I did with my 89 4x4 burb that I bought new and still own. It has 180K plus miles on it to while the 2000 almost 39K now. I use my trucks as trucks not for pleasure usage and honestly I am afraid get a new one to replace it someday. I also have a old 79 Jeep J20 truck (3/4 ton) that started life in farm duty and then pushed snow for many years and it still runs today with original drive train. It has had a very hard life and I spent very little on repairs in the nearly 12 years I owned it. 13 years ago I replaced starter (the starter in my 2000 died at 35K from corrosion and 89 still has original boat anchor starter until like the cheap ones they use now!) and about 5 years ago rebuilt the carb. It has been well maintained and a very simple design with not much to go wrong with it which is more than can be said about any new one. Detriot has forgotten how to make it simple and reliable. Granted they has emissions to deal with but even still too many gadgets for lowest bidders to go bad on newer ones. I suspect than the new 07 designs will prove to be even more troublesome and expensive to repair in future as GM is starting to patent more of the parts for newer models making more items dealer only to boost profits from losses they take from selling them greatly marked down.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Snoman's "not a silverado" comment reminds me of another clue to GM's stupidity.

What would you expect from a company that made a vehicle called a blazer. Then in the same years made two completely different vehicles both called blazer. Then decided to change the "original" blazer to a Tahoe....which, prior to that, was a trim package one or two less than a Silverado.

So Silverado was a trim package for at least two decades....then becomes a model name for what people here is Hot, Texas call a pickup truck.

So you expect a company who can't figure out what to call a pickup to actually engineer, design, and fabricate an affordable, reliable, safe, serviceable, vehicle, etc.?

Maybe the next generation C/K should be call "Brougham."

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

I don't know... I hear Chrysler's bringing back the Aspen as a luxury SUV instead of a cheap econobox car.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(gone but not forgotten) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Good, entertaining post...I've seen others voice similar thoughts. I always thought it was funny that real "Blazers" were referred to as a "K5", when in fact it is a K10 (1/2 ton). When I've been to parts store to get items here and there, it's usually referred to as a K10 in their electronic catalogs. What would a '5' signify? 1/4 ton?

~jp (still wondering if the 2WD Blazer was a "C5"...of course that would cause much confusion when talking about Blazers around Corvette dudes)

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Thanks. Good point on the k5 biz. That reminds me of the Jimmy / Yukon B.S. also. Same discussion as my previous post.

I had a 83 S15 "Jimmy" (aka "Little Jimmy"). Half my friends called it an S10 and the other half called it a Blazer.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer