'02 8.1L Crank Position Sensor

The truck:

2002 8.1L 2500HD w/ 30K miles

I posted before about this, but think it is pinned down to this sensor for several reasons.

Symptoms: Normally while moving between 5-10 MPH or stopped, the engine just dies. It fires right back up on the first or second try. This has happened four times in the past three weeks. One time while rolling at around 30 MPH it appeared to die, but I pumped the pedal a few times and it fired up again on its own!

There are NO CODES and the SES light has never come on.

What I've learned: The crank position sensor on '02's is problematic. It acts exactly in this manner including being able to pump the accelerator a few times if caught right away and it may fire back up. It does not set codes and will not trip the SES light. I know of another individual that has an '02 8.1L and it had the sensor fail as well! Seems to be a HUGE safety issue on this engine. Would hate to be on the hwy and especially towing and have it croak!!!

The NAPA price for the sensor is $88. I located a description of the placement of the sensor being on the back of the engine on the driver's side.

How tough is it to replace on your own? Any precautions, tricks, special tools, etc.? If I was to just have the stealer do it, what would be the expected charge?

I'm on my way out to the truck right now to check the position and see if I can see it.

By the by, I just replaced the fuel filter on her tonight just in case, but don't want to get stuck on the road towing with this issue!!! I don't think the fuel filter was the problem, but it needed to be changed anyway at 30K miles and is very easy and cheap to do.

Thanks!

I am having a very similar problem but it usually happens around 50-6- mph. Occasionally it will comletely stall, and I have to coast in neutral to restart it. You are correct, it is a significant safety issue, especially when your power sterring and brakes die at 60 MPH! Let me know if the sensor corrects it. snipped-for-privacy@barefootchris.com

Reply to
Chris Attinella