'02 siverado limited slip rear end

I have the factory installed rear limited slip differential and it is not working. Today I was in some mud and only 1 rear wheel would spin. What is
likely wrong? Thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mark wrote:

There was no factory limited slip. there is a factory locker which locks when there is enough of a difference between the left and right wheel
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are wrong, there is no factor locker, It is called a GovLoc but it is a clutch based LSD with a centrifical governer to engage clutches that can cause it to bang at times to. Locking differentail is the wrong name for it but they still use it though for sales but it is misleading. If this a 1/2 ton silverado with a 10 bolt rear axle, the GovLoc is pretty weak and will not take much abuse before it gets tired, especailly if it it has oversized tires because you a greatly limited by how much clutch are you can fit inside a 8.6 inch ring gear and the bigger the tires, the harder the clutches have to work. If you go through the trouble to replace it, do not get another GovLoc for it. Eaton offer a non govloc HD LSD that is even a option of some trucks now it is called a G82 or G83 I forget which (not a G80 which is a GovLoc) and is end user rebuildable too ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Again I do not give a hoot what it says for sales reason, it is not a locker, I have had them apart, it is a governor controlled clutch based LSD and I do not know what planet that you came from that uses friction clutchs in lockers because it is a LSD and it will slip when torque capacity of it is exceeded, simple physics. A "locker" has actaly mechanical locking of axles together that cannot slip unless on something breaks. You could take a truck with a true locker (selectable or mechnica) place a load in back of truck, secure it so it cannot move and jack up on wheel and power it and burn the tire on the ground off untill it fails (the tire). Try that with a GovLoc and in a minute or 2 tops the clutches in the GovLoc will be toast. Your instant on believing it is a locker is because you do know understand what a true locker is and is not.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
So back to my original question, is something broken inside and if so I assume it is better to replace with a locker either mech. or selectable. Oh, when I had the vehicle on a hoist I noticed that when one wheel is turned by hand the other rotates in the opposite direction, I thought that if the LSD was working they should rotate in the same direction. Thanks
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No, that part's normal...
A LSD or auto-locker is going to be "open" until it senses wheelspin. That's how all open (non-locked) diffs work when you spin one wheel while both are off the ground.
~jp
mark wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

There is a BIG difference though on how they work because true "auto" lockers like a Detriot or Lock Right and such have no spider gears and can only power both wheels same speed or the outside wheel coasts in a turn when it is 1 wheel drive. A LSD limits torque loss to spinnig wheel via clutches or gears (like with a True Trac) so it can power both wheels in a turn. A open diff ALWAYS send the same torque to both wheels as it cannot do anything else *the torque is limited to the amount that wheel with least traction can handle. Even when one tire spins they are both getting same tor it is just that one may be a zero RPM while the other is a 600 RPM or more. THe hottest ticket is a selectable locker like a Eaton E-locker. For more info on how various diffs work, check out link below
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t5 ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mark wrote:

Thats why I tried to explain that its not an LSD, its a locker. It has those small weights which lock it when the speed between the wheels differs. Yes it uses clutches to lock, but there is no slip like an LSD and its not always locked so up on a hoist turning one wheel will not be cause it to lock. If you put one wheel on pavement and the other on grass and hit the gas hard you will feel it lock, it will make a bang when it happens, since its not an LSD where the clutches slip its an all at once lock. thats also why it tends to be weaker than an LSD since you the lock can catch in under a real stressful situation and break it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Eugene wrote:

I feel sorry for you trying to argue with Snoman. It's a lost cause. He won't admit that the G80 is a locking diff, not a limited slip diff simply because "you can overcome the torque of the clutch discs". This is typical of his style of logic. Because he believes that you can only call a diff a locker if it mechanically locks the two axles together without clutch packs, this is what you get. Obviously he would like to disregard a million other items in vehicles that use clutches to "lock" two items together mechanically.
Whether or not the g80 is a "good" locking diff, or the "best" locking diff is totally irrelevent, but Snoman will pull any and all of these points into his argument.
It's hardly worth it....these types of threads are simply a soap box for Snoman to climb up on and regale everyone with lot's of "real life" stories about locking diffs and g80's and trucks that he's driven...blah blah blah.
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
shiden_kai wrote:

I was trying more to explain how it worked to the OP so he could properly diagnose his hopefully he will be able to ignore those that are trying to call it what they want.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You should try this test before you mention it and you will change your own mind. I have jacked up one side rear with the front bumper against a concrete wall and yes it is a locker the tire on the ground will spin. And yes it will do it in reverse also. Just cause it uses clutches doesn't mean it can't lock the axles. I would consider any standard shift cars engine to be locked to the driveshaft when the clutch is fully engaged. So what if it is governor controlled when it is locked it is locked. Try your own test. I have used it many times to determine if peoples G80 was working correctly. Most are. http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charles Bendig wrote:

I'm surprised Charles. You should know better then this how these things operate!
Ian
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.