02 suburban GPS/Navi system

Page 1 of 2
i am looking into installing a GPS/Navi system into my 02 suburban. my question is, i am looking at a few from pioneer, kenwood, clarion. will a double din unit fit into the stock location? if it will, what do i need for
it to work?
Thanks in advance.
Troy
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:24:30 -0500, "Troy Nemes"

For one thing, you will need to run a line/feed for a external GPS antenna. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
ok, that i understand that, but can i fit a double din unit in the stock location?
Troy

Actually, the GPS "antenna" will work quite nicely secured to the bottom of the windshield on the inside. I have never gotten less than 8 birds with mine there.

This can work but if you want maximum performance for your GPS system in all conditions, you want antenna outside where it is not ever shaded but any part of car as it trys to track the satiltes in orbit under varing conditions. The whole beauty of the external antenna setup it that it lets you do this. When you get in marginal coondition like in forests, deep valleys and in heavy precipitation you want maxium possible gain and reception field for your antenna. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
The answer to your question is yes, ONLY if you are willing to undertake some modification work. GM is a DIN and a half size for decks. Your best bet would be to get one that is a DIN with a motorized face (screen). Installing one is very simple and the tuner pack for your GPS function is a separate piece that will mount udder your seat or else where similarly easy to access and mount. Running the wires in a simple chore to do also, including the GPS antenna, it is not harder to run then an antenna for a Sat radio set up.

Great to see that you once again took the time to NOT answer the OP's question Snodick

Are you on some space cadet trip or something? I am not at yours anyone elses "call". I do not stay in threads when trolls and children (such as yourself) come out to play. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Apparently you are not here to help anyone either because as usual you ignored the OP's question and went off on your own tangent again. FYI trust me, if I were in need of assistance, you would NEVER be the one I call!
Since you don't stay in threads where you feel there are trolls, maybe you should stop posting all together!

Sure you do. You bail when you're proven wrong. That you could confuse the two is not surprising.
Troy, something that I want to make sure you are aware of as this is ALWAYS a shock to people. With yours being an 02 you will need a special wire harness adaptor, and if you have the Bose and or On-star this will also effect the harness you need. If you have a non Bose or On-star you will need to use the GM-RC01 harness which will drop you about 100 bucks. You CAN NOT install an aftermarket radio in a GM product that requires this if you do not use it. The ones for Bose and On-star cost more.
The dash kit you will need is the 99-4000 from Metra and you will also need and GM mini to standard antenna adaptor.
azwiley1,
thank youo for your help. i have a few questions.
i do have on-star, can you guide as to which wiring harness i will need? is 99-4000 for double din units? if it is not, can anyone direct me to some guides, or explanation, as to the modifications needed to fit a double din unit?
Thank you again for everyones help
Troy

I'll have to look up the harness you need, give me a day and i will get that for you. As for the kit, there is no such thing as a double din for a GM truck. If you want to install a double din, you will have to make your own, this will mean some fiberglass and/or abs working, cutting of your dash trim bezel as well as cutting of the dash above the radio opening and down by the heater controls.
This answer the questions?
Yes, that answered the question, thank you very much. if im not worried about using onstar, do i still need to worry about the wiring harness. i do not plan on using onstar.
Troy

Yes, unfortunately you will still have to use a harness as there are no other harness adaptors that would replace it. However, you can actually get away with the OS-1 vice the OS-2 which will save you some money. The -1 as I recall would run about 80 bucks. Difference between the two, are functions required for certain GM cars, they both work on the 02 trucks and SUVs though.

azwiley1,
one more question, does the inner dash have enough space to acommodate a dvd/gps/navi unit? as long as i have enough space i think i can make everything work.
thank you,
Troy

As I recall, you will be a half din shy on space on the inner dash if you do not cut some of it out. One problem that you will dun into if you are going to try the 2 din unit is that you will (on top of everything else) have to make your own mount brackets as there will be no (easy) way to mount it into the dash.
When you pull your dash trim bezel off, you will see one of two ways your factor unit mounted, either slide locks (1 on ea side) or three 7mm bolts. If you have the bolts, making something out of cheese strap is easy, if you have the slides, you will have to either break them off the factory deck or buy the 99-4000 kit just to get them, then device a way to mount them and all that fun stuff.
Though it is your vehicle, unless you bought it already, you really are better off with a single din motorized screen unit, looking at it from the ease of installation aspect of it all.

thank you for the advise. i plan on buying a spare dash bezel, to do this project. i am really set on a double din unit, i like the idea and look better than a single din. i wish they manufactured a din 1/2.
thanks again. thanks for the advise on the onstar issue also.
Troy

Good luck and take your time doing it. I have so many things like this that come out jacked up because people get into a hurry. Make sure you get it to fit properly in the dash before you start to cut up the bezel. Don't for get to let the deck stick out the bezel about a 1/4" to 3/8" to allow for the face (motorized I assume) movement.
If you don't mind me asking what brand equipment are you going with?
azwiley1,
i am looking at either the pioneer AVIC-N2 or the kenwood P-NAV6019 DDX6019. i am looking more toward the kenwood, 1 i already have the sirius receiver for it, and its bluetooth compatible, the pioneer is not. im glad you wrote back, do you by chance know the measurement on a typical double din unit? do you have a recommendation of equipment to use. i like the pioneer for the VDD (but no bluetooth). i want the bluetooth, so that i dont have to use onstar. i can use my phone and have GPS and communication in one unit, without a monthly fee.
were u the one that told me about the chimes harness to get so my chimes would still work? i was reading a post from someone (another forum) who had a trailblazer, and had to install both the pioneer unit, and his factory unit, to make everything work. will i have to do this if i use the wiring harnesses, you mentioned?
thanks again for all your help.
do you have a recommendation for forming ABS panels? i dont care to use fiberglass.