02 suburban GPS/Navi system

Page 2 of 2
Ok, if it were me, I would steer you toward the Pioneer systems. They have been doing the Nav all in one stuff longer then anyone else and their products have always been rock solid. Another reason is that on the
underside of the N2 (IIRC) there is a little switch under a "Warranty Void if broken" seal that will allow you to by pass the "no video while drive" feature. Kenwood makes good stuff too and you would not go wrong with them either.
I bereave that if you want BT that Pioneer has an adaptor out that will add it. On the size question it should be roughly about 7 1/2 deep, about 4 tall and about 7 wide. Basically if you measure the height of a single din and double is, depth and width are about the same.
On the chimes, yeah, it was me. I know the set up you read about and I DO NOT recommend you do it. First, the harness you will need is a GM-22, basically it is a bundle of wires about an 1 1/2" in diameter that is about 20' long and requires you to keep your factory radio in the vehicle. I have seen a few setups like this and the end result was problem after problem. Plus, once you take the factory radio out, you will see you have limited wire run area, so installing ALL that wire is a PIA.
The reason he "had" to install both the Pioneer and the factory radio is because either the shop that did the work didn't have a flipping clue as to what they were doing or he bought the stuff with out doing a little research.
Where are you located, if you were in S.E Arizona, I would offer to install this stuff for you. I could knock out the basic installation in about 2 hours, this includes the GPS pack, the tuner, antenna, wires et all for a fair price.

azwiley1,
Thank you very much for all your help, and advise. it has been very helpful. i am in the central ohio area, so thanks anyways for the install offer.
Troy

No problem at all Troy. Let me know if you need anything else. If you want drop me an email when you are ready to install everything and I can tell you a few tricks to help make things go easier when you are doing it as there is going to be a lot to do and I know that the instructions are not that clear most of the time. There are also a few things I can tell you that will NOT be in the instructions.
Larry

Sorry fat fingered the part number on that harness that requires you to leave the factory radio in, it's the GWH-22.
Larry,
real quick question, can you run the pioneer GPS/DVD unit without the dvd's? maybe i dont really understand what the dvd are for? how does the updated get made, so that the maps are always up to date? thanks again for all your help.
Troy

On some double din units, there is a HDD to store your maps your disks are used to load and keep just in case, others require you to leave the disk in while you are using the NAV function. It really depends on which model you get.
Something else that just caught my eye was that in an earlier post you said you were looking at the AVIC-N2. That is a single din motorized face unit, for that, all you need is the dash kit I told you about, no dash modifying needed.

Larry,
your right i did post that from the beginning. i am looking at that one also, but i really want a double din. im not a bit itimidated about modifying my dash, so i am looking forward to the challange....lol. i appreciate your heads up. also, does the AVIC-N2 have bluetooth?
Troy

As I recall, the N2 does not have BT. If you want a 2 din that has BT and a lot of other features, and want to stay with Pioneer, I would either get the AVIC-D3 or the ZVIC-Z1
Now, if you want something that does not come with built in BT from Pioneer, they do make the add on pack that will give you the feature.

how about a pioneer single din with bt? can you direct me?
Troy

None, unless you use the add on module. Sorry

i was under the impression that they all required the module. so you can make any pioneer single unit bt, with the module?
Thanks once more......lol
Troy

Sorry, at a quick glance of the BT modules, I thought they were a more of a "universal" set up, but looking further into them, they are very deck specific, and the only dvd/nav decks that can do BT are the ones I mentioned earlier. No single din dvd/nav can, which I find funny because a lot more cd players have BT functionality.

Larry,
i was just looking at 03 gauge and radio dash bezel. it doesnt look and different that the one in my 02. but didnt gm make the radio opening double din in this vehicles? so my questions is, can i use one of those, and modify the inner dash as needed?
Troy

That is a good question. Honestly, I am not 100% sure. If you have the ability to, I would take the 03 bezel and install it on your vehicle to see how everything lines up. If there is no issue with allignment, that sure you could do that. You may still run into a mounting issue. I forgot, did you say you have the slide locks or the three 7mm bolts that hold your radio in?
slide locks. thanks for the heads up
Troy

Shame that you don't have the bolt in kind, that would make your life SO much easier. It don't take much to make the little brackets.
Larry,
it still shouldnt be that hard to make some bracket to mount the same as if i had the bolt in style.
im going to get a 03 dash bezel, and try to see if it will fit. that will make life a little easier. then all i have to modify is the interior of the radio cavity. have you done any of these before with the din 1/2 opening? if so how difficult is it? i consider myself varely handy and diverse when it comes to this kinda stuff. i feel pretty confident that i can get it done with or without the 03 bezel.
thank you very much for all your help and advise.
Troy

Yeah, I have, not in the Chevy, but in other vehicles, a Dodge Ram with a din 1/2 to a double din comes to mind right off. I also customized the dash of my 97 Ram when I had it. Had a deck and eq in the din 1/2 opening with a "kit" I made, also took out the ash tray and put my little midland cb there.
It was (is) time consuming, but not difficult. Remember when trimming, that you can always cut more but you can't put back what you cut. Once you have the bezel for the 03, you will be able to get a much better idea of what you will have to trim. Mark it up, trim a little, test fit, repeat.
If you don't have one, you may want to think about getting a Dremel tool as this will be the most versatile tool you would want when doing this kind of work. A good file and a rasp too.
The harness you will need as you said you have on-star and no Bose is going to be the OS-2 from PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) keep in mind that with the way GM systems are designed, you will loose your warning chimes when you pull out the factory radio, if you want them back, make sure you get the CM1. The OS-2 is going to run you around 140 bucks or so and the CM1 about 40.