'03 K3500 8.1L engine block heater

Hello All;

I recently bought a used '03 K3500 with the 8.1L...this truck was originally sold in AZ and did not come with an engine block heater (go figure)...has anybody installed one on a truck like this??...the dealer told me that it would be about $1K....the last time I did one all I had to do was pop out a freeze plug and insert the heater and electrical cord that came as a kit for about $35....any suggestions???..

Thanks in advance!!!

Hondo

Reply to
Jerry Jeff Walker

Mine is a 99 with the 5.3L. The block heater is screwed into one of the drain plug holes on the left front of the motor. I was in North Dakota for a while and I've seen all kinds of heaters. These modern trucks don't have a lot of working room so I don't know if the freeze plug method would be a good idea. Man, I'd hate to have a leaking one! Your dealer sounds like a crook. Call his parts department to see how much the part cost is.

Reply to
George

$1000 to install a block heater? Wow, I replaced one in the shop truck at work for about $40 including new coolant ('97 2500 with a 5.7) If that price is really the case get an inline circulating heater and DIY, it installes in your heater hose between your water pump and heater core, just make sure it pumps with the coolant flow and not against it. I've got one like this on my propane pickup. This one usually keeps my windshield mostly free of frost too, if your heater controls are set to heat.

Reply to
Demon

HI, I work for a dealer in Arizona. I'll bet your truck has a good air conditioner also. I will check tomorrow at work and see what the chevy block heater goes for and how it installs on your truck. Be sure to check back tomorrow. Wont be anywhere near what that crook qouted you. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Hi Hondo, I work for a dealer in Phoenix. The part number for the GM block heater kit is # 12497459 the list price is 32.00 the book also says you will need a Gasket #12560438 list price on it is 3.88. We have the part on our shelf here so I looked at it. And the sheet inside shows it to screw into where you remove the freeze plug on the left front of block . We do sell these in Phoenix , we dont want the water to freeze if it drops under

  1. Have a good day hope this helps. Scott
Reply to
zonie

Reply to
USAROVER