'03 TrailBlazer Static Charge

I have an '03 TrailBlazer 4X4. I just bought it Wednesday Jan 25. Every time I get out of the darn thing it shocks the beejezus out of me when I reach for the door. It's not just a little shock either. I held
my key up to the door today and got a 2 inch arc of electricity from the key to the door. I have had numerous cars and trucks over the years and never have had an experience like this. Is this an electrical problem with the vehicle? I did notice that the problem goes away temporarily when it is raining.

It's static electricity. Hold the door handle or something else that's grounded and not painted, when you slide out of the car. You may feel a slight tickle but it's a lot better than the shock.
My Mother had a car that did this. She went to Sears Auto service and they told her the shock absorbers were bad. Cost her about $150 for new shocks that did nothing to help the problem:)
Al

happens. I have one jacket that gives me a static shock each time I get out of the car.
You should have got the TrailBlazer with leather seats : )

I see these ground straps on vehicles. Don't know how effective they are but might be worth a look. I'd check some of the local parts houses for a better deal http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_idP65

You could try spraying the seats and carpet with Static Guard.
Dave
Thanks for all the input. I figured it was just static electricity but have never had this problem with any other vehicle. Maybe I should have bought the thing with a "charge" card. I kill me.
Bruce Clevenger wrote:

cloth and conductivity of tires. I find it best to take a small bottle of water and mix in 10% fabric softener you would use for washing clothes and lightly spray the seats every so often. My wife likes to spray febreeze on the seats anyway so I just mix a little fabric softener in with it.