04' HD Windshield Rattle

04' 2500 HD When I go on the freeway,my windshield rattles. I can feel the vibration if I put my hand on it.Sounds like it's gonna come right in at me.
The faster I go,the louder it gets. Has any one had this happen?
Bill wrote:

I do have a bug shield. It`s been on for a year,and the noise started about 2 weeks ago.

I'd remove the bug sheild and see if that makes a difference. If that's not feasable, temporarily stuff something between the shield and the hood to change the air flow and try it again.
Dave
I knew from the start,the bug shield wasn`t the problem. The bug shield has been on there for a year,and the noise started 2 weeks ago.So I decided to waste my time and take it off,and the noise is still there. I guess I'll be going to the dealer like I should have done in the first place.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Well, you might as well leave it off. The dealer will almost certainly insist on it's removal before trying any diagnostic steps.
Dave
I`m not gonna leave it off,unless they wanna give me the money for it. I`ll just wait and see what they say. I`m taking in next Tuesday. I`ll let you all know what happens.
Thanks, Bill
Bill wrote:

the flaps like your supposed to. If your dealer is decent they will find the TSB with the same instructions.
Why would I try to do that myself if it`s under warrenty?
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/fun_stuff/march2002/page004.html
Steve Joyce wrote:

deflector just makes is flap a lot more than normal, most people don't notice the noise without adding the deflector.
What year did this start to happen? My 97' didn`t do that,and also my friends 02' 2500 HD was fine. He installed it himself and so did I on my 97'.
Like I said before,why does it still make noise with the bug shield off?
Greetings,
I think the explanation you are looking for is that the bug shield is not the cause of the problem, but it does exacerbate it. Once the problem starts even if the bug shield is removed the problem still exists because now the side strips have been letting wind under the leading edge for a while and will continue to do so until fixed.
The leading edge of the side strips on the windshield were originally intended to be held in place by pressure - and the vast majority of trucks without bug deflectors didn't have an issue with this design. However, some did and those trucks that had certain bug deflectors installed had a slightly different airflow pattern over the windshield which made the problem more prominent. My dealer recongnized this as an issue before there was a kit to fix it, and simply ran a bead of clear silicon down underneath the leading edge of both side strips to seal them to the windshield. Never had a problem since.
Is it possible that your truck is suffering from some other issue that is causing the noise? Maybe, but so far you're the only one as everyone else's is a result of this known cause and has been fixed by the methods described. Maybe your's is unique, but I wouldn't bet good money on it.
Cheers - Jonathan

I have the same problem with my 04 HD. I to have a bug deflector. It only does it at about 60mph and gets more noticeable the faster I go. Drives me crazy. At first I thought it was the electrical wires between the cab roof and the head liner.After reading this it might be the windshield.

me wrote:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/fun_stuff/march2002/page004.html
My dealer fixed the noise.No questions asked. Also another steering shaft. This is the second one. Thanks for everyones help. Bill