07 GMC water in rear light

Noticed that my 07 GMC Sierra has water in the drivers side rear lamp housing. Looks like it is sweating from the inside. No visible cracks etc. Don't know how to get the water out, remove a bulb, then get the wife's hairdryer on it???

Reply to
wabbleknee

There is a crack or a weep hole somewhere. You can fight with it or drill a small (wire drill bit size) hole in the botton of the housing. If you can find a place out of the way that is not in the way of running water you can drill one on the top as well as a cross vent sourse.

Eventally the silvering will turn gray/black and you'll need to replace the plastice but that should be years way.

Reply to
NotMe

The newer lights are sealed to keep moisture out. Sounds like yours has failed. The usual failures are at the seam where the lens is welded to the reflector housing. Even a small crack will cause problems, especially if the weather is damp. Last one I repaired I pulled the entire lamp out of the vehicle, pulled the bulb, dried it using a small sponge and wire, then used a heat gun with a small nozzle the finish the drying. Next I look for the crack. You can use PVC cement to reglue it or just use some silicone . Reinstall and apply a bit of dielectric grease and you should be OK.

Reply to
Steve W.