1.9l engine swap

i have an s10 with the 1.9L isuzu engine with a 4 speed manual paired to it. i need to know if the stock tranny in my truck will bolt up to a 305/350 bolt pattern. if not, what manual transmission will make
for an easy, not-to-much work engine swap?
"diamondjim" wrote: > i have an s10 with the 1.9L isuzu engine with a 4 speed manual > paired to it. i need to know if the stock tranny in my truck > will bolt up to a 305/350 bolt pattern. if not, what manual > transmission will make for an easy, not-to-much work engine > swap?
Why not a V6?? I V8 will add a lot of weight to front end that suspension will not handle and will overpower the driveline too. The biggest posible is not always the best answer.
Why dont you just drop in an old 250 6 cylinder?

The tranny behind the Isuzu engine will not bolt to any of GM's standard engines. For a manual look for any Camero/Firebird with V-8, or 3.8 ltr V-6 (early models). S-10 with 4.3 ltr V-6 (2.8 V-6 and 2.5 4cyl had different bolt pattern) You want easy, go a 305 engine/turbo350 tranny. That elimates all the shift linkage rigging and clutch linkage rigging you will have to do for a stick. The Isuzu setup uses a cable and wont work on a standard GM setup.. You want real easy get the hooker conversion kit, it has everything including harness extensions for ac, alt, etc as well as throttle linkage parts. Use a 4.3 ltr V-6 aluminum radiater heavy duty 3 core from modine and you shouldnt have any cooling problems if you use a good shroud, and dont use a flex fan. You can get 4.3 ltr V-6 carb manifolds in various forms, 2 bbl, 4 bbl. Cams galore. and the 4.3 was used in a ton of vehicles including Monte Carlos, Caprice, as well as others in carb form. If you go V-8, or 4.3 for that matter you need to change the front coil springs. Long bed extended cab S-10 with 4.3, auto, and ac is what you want springs from. Figure on replacing the rear axle before long.
One other thought, the Isuzu diesel engine will bolt to that tranny. Used in S-10's, Luv trucks, Isuzu pup trucks, Isuzu I-mark sedans, and chevy chevettes.
Whitelightning
"SnoMan" wrote:

have
engine
I can understand and respect that but I was just offering a simpler solution for you. There were some carbed 4.3s too and it responds to warming the same way a 350 does and you will have less drive train problems and cooling problems too. Good luck on your swap.[/quote:9af5d12680]
thank you. i didnt know that there were carbed 4.3s out there. does anybody knows if a 4.3 will bolt up to the tranny i have? thanks
"diamondjim" wrote:

want
life
I can understand and respect that but I was just offering a simpler solution for you. There were some carbed 4.3s too and it responds to warming the same way a 350 does and you will have less drive train problems and cooling problems too. Good luck on your swap.[/quote:6723e37b92]
thank you. i didnt know that there were carbed 4.3s out there. does anybody knows if a 4.3 will bolt up to the tranny i have? thanks[/quote:6723e37b92]
They used carbed 4.3 in Full sized chevy cars from about 80 until they went to TBI in 86 or 87. I used to work with a guy years ago that had one. It was a 80 I think and he used to travel a lot and used to get 23 to 25 mpg on the road with it in a caprice and that was good mileage back then. I do not know about your current tranny but the 305/350 V8 and 4.3 are the same on bellhousing bolts. Even the Big Blocks were that same too back then.
I am doing this in a 1983 S-10 4x4 as we speak you need to go to Jags That run, they have all the parts and a good book. I have a 305 4bbl with thurbo 350 going into mine NO COMPUTER don't want it, I have a spare 305 with 700R4 I want to put into a 2 wheel drive this winter make a speeder.
Dan
diamondjim wrote:

Go with the 350 its a lot of fun

diamondjim wrote:

    4.3V6's use the V8 bellhousing bolt pattern. You can use a T-5 from a 4.3 S-10. Although T-5's don't do so well behind a 305 or a 350. If you want to stay with a 4 Speed I would look for a 78 to 81 Super T-10 from a Camaro (may require driveshaft work).
    The biggest problems with a V-8 swap on a S-10: 1. 4x4's require either custom fabrication your own oil pan or spending $250 for a aftermarket pan. 2. Steering shaft interfeance with adapter plates. Sometimes you have to notch the top of the motor mount to get clearance. 3. You either have to use mid to late 80's Caprice exhaust manifolds, or headman headers. The headers have to have the #5 tube go over the steering shaft. 4. Unless it's 4X4, and you use a body lift, there is firewall interfearance issues around the transmission tunnel seam(s). I have dimples the p^ss out of them before with a hammer.
    I have a set of home made conversion plates that move the mounts out. If your brave enough it's not have to do. Don't listen to jegs or summit, all the conversion stuff works just fine with a TH700R4 transmission. You do not need to use a TH350.          You can use a 4.3V6 radiator. I have used 70 to 72 Chevelle 4 core 28 inch wide (4 bolt top plate) radiators in them before. Fits the 91 up core supports just fine. You use 70's era bottom pads, and make a top plate out of 1/8 inch metal (I perfer stainless or aluminum), with rubber mount pads adheasived in place (weather strip adheasive).
    Another thing I do is use 88 to 93 S-10 4.3 serpentine belt brackets, accessiories and water pump. Cleaner looking then V belts, bolts right up to the engine (if your heads have front accessiory bolt holes), and is cheap to obtain from salvage yards.
Charles