14 bolt or Dana 70 and lockers...

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting the parts together to build up my K5 with better axles and some lift, crossover steering, and whatever else I can afford.

I'm curious if there's another locker option for the GM Corp 14 bolt FF rear besides the Detroit. I really want a selectable locker. This truck is my daily driver, and for my off roading purposes a 14 bolt is overkill, but I've found a real good deal on a good core and I figure extra strength is better than not enough.

I do occasionally hit a little ice and snow and don't like what I've read about the Detroit locker breaking the rear end loose when it loses traction then engages the other wheel. For this reason I want to be able to run an open diff on the road with the ability to lock it up fully when I need it on the trail.

Everything I've read indicates that the Detroit is the only option for a 10.5" 14 bolt FF. I'm unable to find much else for a Dana 70 either. I'd like an electric locker over an air-powered unit.

It does appear that Eaton sells an electric locker for the 14 bolt SF rear, but I don't want to use that rear end.

I just find it strange that the 14 bolt FF is such a highly regarded and readily available piece of equipment yet there don't appear to be many options as far as lockers go.

Thanks,

-Jon / jonrpick at yay who? dot com

Reply to
jonrpick