1978 ignition switch replacement

Can anyone tell me how to remove the ignition switch on a '78 4x4 1/2 ton with tilt wheel? When you put the key in the ignition, it will just turn in
circles. It locks normally with the key out. Thanks.
Remove steering wheel, then remove the steering lock plate snap ring then the plate (under wheel), then take screws out of turn signal switch, you should have enough slack in the wires to pull it out far enough to remove the bolt that holds the cylinder in there. Tools : You will need a steering wheel puller and it is a lot easier with a tool to remove and install the plate. I made ours out of a 1" 1/4" flat steel bent into a shape about like this [____ ____] with a hole in the middle that I can put the steering wheel nut back on to compress the plate and pull the shaft back up at the same time. Before making that tool we used to have someone hold up on the shaft while the other pushes down on the plate and installs ring. Once you do a few it's a 15 minute job, first one is a pain in the @$$ ... P.S. do you have any play in you steering wheel up down side to side ? if so while at this point you close to being able to tighten that back up, but that is a little tougher job.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I kinda figured I had to do. It's my son-in-laws truck, so I'll show him how to do it.

ton
turn
I've pulled a lot of key cylinders. I think 78 or 79 was when they went from spring retained to screw retained. You need to pull the steering wheel and about six or seven other parts. It's a real PIA, even if you've done a bunch of them.
The switch is right behind the cylinder, and is held with a couple big Torx screws.
Many locksmiths have this skill, cause we need to pull the switch to recreate a lost key. The problem can be either the cylinder or the switch. Can't tell, till the column is taken apart.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.