1978 ignition switch replacement

Can anyone tell me how to remove the ignition switch on a '78 4x4 1/2 ton with tilt wheel? When you put the key in the ignition, it will just turn in circles. It locks normally with the key out. Thanks.

Reply to
Jasper

69SScamaro

Thanks for the reply. That's what I kinda figured I had to do. It's my son-in-laws truck, so I'll show him how to do it.

Reply to
Jasper

I've pulled a lot of key cylinders. I think 78 or 79 was when they went from spring retained to screw retained. You need to pull the steering wheel and about six or seven other parts. It's a real PIA, even if you've done a bunch of them.

The switch is right behind the cylinder, and is held with a couple big Torx screws.

Many locksmiths have this skill, cause we need to pull the switch to recreate a lost key. The problem can be either the cylinder or the switch. Can't tell, till the column is taken apart.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon