1985 305 & 1972 307

I just pulled the HEI dizzy, intake manifold and heads off of my 1985 K5 with a 1985 305 engine.
I also have 1972 chevelle with a 1972 307 in it, and it has valve train
issues. I was wondering if I could use the 305 heads to complete this engine and get it running? At least the cap on this car is bad too, and it was converted to HEI so should the distributor fit & work? I am looking at just "throwing" it together. I haven't disassembled the valves on the 305's heads, and would like to use the push rods from the 305. A zero cost repair, call me cheap but will it work?
What gaskets should I go with if it will?
GMC Gremlin
Yes. 307 head and 305 intake gaskets. Some 305 heads wont accept other small block manifolds. It is a missing bolt hole on the #8 exhaust.

So your saying I should just use the 305 intake manifold then? The 307 is probably worth more on eBay anyway$ :-)
Then the question; should I also get my 305's quadra jet running right and ditch the holly 2b on the chevelle? I'm thinkin I should ... put the $24.00 into a rebuild kit and see how it goes. Probably get it runnin on the 2bbl first just since I've never done something like this before. Hey will the holly 2bbl bolt onto the 305 intake? I would assume yes. Chevy got the interchangeability under the hood _so_ right. Transmissions to transfer cases are a different story, Ford & Dodge are good there so I'm told. But then ford & their engine-to-transmission nightmares......
GMC Gremlin
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

INLINE...

Uh, i see a problem here.... the 305 heads have 58cc chambers.
They also have a very restrictive exhaust port.
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
> > >I just pulled the HEI dizzy, intake manifold and heads off of > my 1985 K5 > > with a 1985 305 engine. > > > > I also have 1972 chevelle with a 1972 307 in it, and it has > valve train > > issues. I was wondering if I could use the 305 heads to > complete this > > engine > > and get it running? At least the cap on this car is bad too, > and it was > > converted to HEI so should the distributor fit & work? I am > looking at > > just > > "throwing" it together. I haven't disassembled the valves on > the 305's > > heads, and would like to use the push rods from the 305. A > zero cost > > repair, > > call me cheap but will it work? > > > > What gaskets should I go with if it will? > > > > GMC Gremlin > > > >
305 heads are notorious for being crap. They are very light castings and more likely than not will show cracks if you mangaflux them since they are 20 years old. Not sure what cc combustion chamber Chevy used with the 307, probably 62 or 64 cc.
As the owner of a Chevelle I believe it deserves better than a used set of 305 heads. Spend a little on a new set. Unlike most every thing else you own your Chevelle is worth more every day you own it.
The distributor will not work. 85s have a partial computer control and the distro will have an extra plug that wont connect to anything on your Chevelle. (Believe me, I tried with an 83 distro from a pickup). The pushrods will work, unless youre working with something really odd, all the small block pushrods are the same. Check them for straightness, though.
My 1972 Chevelle Sedan (4 door) with a 307 & complimentary cracked up corner is growing more valuable every day, really?
GMC Gremlin

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-1985-305-amp-1972-307-ftopict106283.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pI9663
Oh ya, plus it does have a crack right in the middle of the carb mount... but I just want to get the darn thing running of the first time in like 9 months.