1985 K5 front rotor R&R, leaking diff fluid

1985 K5 305CUI 4x4 TH700R4 NP208 3.73's Stock or OEM eq. axles/parts

I can't see how the rotor comes off? I meant to get on here earlier than this, so I could get some posts and be able to do some work tomorrow. Horribly sick, don't know if I'll be able to finish my brake job tomorrow.... Looks like you might just have to take the hub off and then it can slide off?

As some of you may have read in my other posts, that I hate Gorilla lug nuts. Well I was able to get them off, but it took ALLOT of pounding, and I had to torch one of the nuts out. So now I have 1 short stud, and the rotor it is on is scored on the inside (facing the engine). Lucky it isn't one problem on each side eh? Only have to R&R one rotor. But anyways, I think this pounding might have hurt the seal at the end of the axle half shaft. This let a good puddle form on the ground, and it all looks like it's coming right from the end. I'm assuming for now I'll be just fine if I don't go into 4x4 but I'd like to see if I can't get that fixed. Is that a DIY at all?

TIA for any help, I'm off to try to find the answers on the web....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Is it leaking differential lube (gear oil) or did you merely overheat the hub seal and now have wheel bearing grease leaking out?

To replace the leaking wheel hub seal; Remove caliper and support with a length of coat hanger. Remove lock-out hub. Remove outer hub lock nut (4 or 6 notched nut, need special socket, but it can be done with a punch and hammer) Remove lock ring (has a bunch of holes in it) Remove inner lock nut (pay attention to the little pin that protrudes from the face) Yank rotor off as you would any other rotor/hub assembly Clean and inspect wheel bearings, repack wheel bearings if they are serviceable, install new hub seal. Re-assemble in reverse order, adjust inner hub nut to factory spaecs for proper preload Install lock ring so theat the pin on the inner lock nut engages one of the holes in the lock ring Install outer lock ring and torque to spec Install lock-out hub, caliper, pads etc If the rotor is beyond service, knock out all wheel studs and replace with new rotor and new studs if rotor is sold separate from hub, otherwise replace rotor/hub as an assembly. Do not re-use wheel studs once they have been removed.

If the leak is in fact differential oil, strip everything down (as above) to the point where the rotor and hub are off and you have a bare spindle, there are six bolts (capscrews) that hold the spindle to the steering knuckle, Remove the six bolts Now you have two choices; Rent or borrow the proper slide hammer and adaptor that screws onto the end of the spindle and start whacking away until the spindle comes off. The backyard way when a slide hammer isn't available is to re-install the two wheel bearing nuts (to protect the spindle threads) and then wrap the hell out of everything with duct tape (again to protect the spindle threads), then using a soft faced mallet (the bigger the better) hit the spindle left, right, up, down and keep repeating until the spindle is loose (it's just like breaking loose a rusted brake drum except this will be worse) Once you have the spindle off, you'll be sweating so much that you won't notice the outside temperatures. Once the spindle is off, you can pull (slide) the front drive axle shaft and u-joint out, the oil seal resides just inside where the u-joint was. Now's a good time to replace the u-joint also. Clean the area where the new seal will go and clean the rust that made the spindle stubborn to come off, you can install the new seal with a length of exhaust pipe of suitable length of a slightly smaller outside diameter than the seal OD, drive it in straight and true and don't nick the rubber Assembly is the reverse of removal, I'd Loc-tite the six spindle bolts though (blue, not red). Shouldn't take you more than an hour + .3 if you replace the u-joint.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

While it is possible that the hub bearings might have been heated up, this fluid is definitely coming from the end of the axle before the 'knuckle' (hinge portion) and before the u-joint. There was a slight amount on the tire (that's how I noticed it) and then I found about a 8" round splotch of brown snow 2" deep. So quite a bit... I haven't checked the diff fluid level but AFAIK if I don't drive the running gear, via the wheels or the t-case, I should be just fine? Right now I am REALLY sick, and I'm going to need this truck Monday/Tuesday (whenever I can drag my ass off the couch/bed/et all). I thought that a weekend would have been good for all of this, but I didn't plan on getting ill.... Basically planning on throwing it back together with good lug nuts, and actually having a whole weekend to work on this, instead of spending about 8 hours getting 1 wheel off.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Is the axle tube seal on the GM 10 bolt in a different spot than the Dana

44? I've never actually replaced the axle tube seals, but when I yanked the axles to replace U-joints, the axle was 'exposed' (rusted and crusted and muddy) all the way until about 2" before the splines, leading me to believe that the axle tube seal is on that end....and it's been so long since I blew up my 10 bolt and replaced it that I don't remember what the axles on it looked like....

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

. . KJ's sick....he's ruint his axle seals..or most likely jest melted his bearing grease.....now he needs to know how to get his rotors off.

(read the thread....if you're that interested.... it's too dang long to keep posting...)

KJ, don't go out in 14 degree weather turning that cold into the flue....... Cut and paste Neils proceedure to a file you can retrieve later on. Stick your wheels back on and go to work, wait till the weather warms and your feeling better. If it's not pouring all the lube out and the gears ain't grinding.....don't sweat it.... wait for better weather.

marsh monster ~is glad to see KJ didn't put the whole truck on ma's kitchen table....~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Nice to see ya back. I can imagine the embarrassment of wastin all that JD's.... Your advice pretty much matches up with what I was plannin on doin'

Heres a link for some info on my truck, there are some pictures of the front passenger side hub/knuckle/etc.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Yes. As a general rule for all Dana front drive axles (28, 35,

44), the center differential case needs to be removed and the seals removed/replaced from the inside of the differential housing.
Reply to
Neil Nelson