1985 S-10 emission control quesitons

OK - here is my issue - I got a 1985 Chevy S-10, 4-wheel drive, 2.8 L V-6 engine. The emission control stuff has partially been removed when I got it. I replaced the valve cover gaskets today - and now the
truck just does not run like it was - I am thinking it is a vacuum issues someplace.
What should I have and not have hooked up without a working emission control system?
EGR valve had nothing hooked up to it
This has a Early evaporation system (the heater under the carb) - do I want that?
the vacuum lines going to the air cleaner (4 of them) - I don't care if it takes 5 minutes to warm up - can I plus those holes?
what about the vacuum advance - where should the vacuum for that be taken from?
Basically - when I done, I would like a simple, good running engine - without all the "extra" stuff just hanging around that will never be used again.
Since a mechanic will touch it with a 10 foot pole because it is not "emission controlled" - I am trying to figure this all out for myself - and I am sure their is someone out their that would be able to help e with this.
I live in Oregon, so the emission control system is not required in case you are wondering.
If you may be able to help at all - please write back at snipped-for-privacy@efn.org
Thanks
There's an emission sticker on the air cleaner or radiator cover with the hose routing on it. If it was mine I,d hook all the hoses back up. You need to hook the timing advance back up. You need the egr hose hooked up too. All vacuum lines must be capped or plugged or you have a vacuum leak. Its not possible to explain on here how to hook up your vacuum hoses. Or what you can leave off.

I just got the same truck here in california and a Haynes repair manual had enough information in it to check all that stuff.
BTW: Whats the point in redisgning your engine controls.