1985 Suburban 6.2 Diesel

We are currently restoring our '85 Suburban (new engine, body, interior...etc.) I was wondering if there are any sites available that show where the emblems and decals are placed on the vehicle for the
different years and the different packages? Any help would be appreciated!
I was curious as to the performance capabilities of that engine...specifically, do you know if anyone has attempted to use a turbocharger on that diesel and what the results were...?
I'm rethinking my K5, and I may gut it and start from scratch--with a diesel.
Thoughts?
~jp
dieselsub wrote:

The 6.2 was never designed to be turbo chargered and will not gain much from it as it is a prechambered engine. (you need direct injection to boost well) I would suggest if you want a oil burner to consider a 6.5 as it is basically a improved 6.2 as block and heads are basically the same. It was designed for a mild boost and the several that i have driven over the years ran quite well. It has a wide RPM range fore a diesel (because of prechamber diesgn) and responds well to throttle and feels like a gas motor at times in responce. Back in 95 when I was out in MT I took a Dodge, GM and Ford diesel pickup on a test drive on the long climbing hill north of Helena on interstate (dealers even recommanded the 20 mile round trip too) The GM 6.5 won hands down and would hold 75 or 80 on grade if you pushed it. THe cummins was next, it was quieter that 6.5 and would top out between 65 and 70 on same climb and the Ford struggled to hold between 55 and 60. Granted things have change since then but it shows were they were back then. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Good info... I knew the 6.5 was a turbo'd motor, and that it was similar in design to the 6.2, just didn't know "how" similar.
I'd really like to find a wrecked 1-Ton 4x4 with the 6.5 motor in it. That'd have almost all the donor parts I'd want/need for my K5.
Between which years was the 6.5 available?
~jp
SnoMan wrote:

Jon R. Pickens wrote:

replaced it with a long block non-turbo 6.5...smooth installation with little or no adaptation ( except the pulley system) A little pricey, but compared to the price of a new truck!!!! The 6.5 can still be purchased brand new from any GM truck dealership for around $8600.00 CDN... Still looking for info on the emblem placements....Anyone?
Thanks Jon
How do the motor mounts line up with the 6.2/6.5 vs. a small-block gas engine? Is it a drop-in affair or do the mounts need to be changed or relocated?
Thanks,
~jp
dieselsub wrote:

Check out link below as it has the years and versions used starting in 93 with a unturbocharged version and all latter years were turbo charged. (link include gas engine data too)
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?th ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Greetings,
For both questions (concerning the placement of labels and installing a turbo on an older 6.2) check out www.thedieselpage.com
It is a great reference for GM diesels and there is an article somewhere on that page concerning installing a turbo and heads from a 6.5 onto a 6.2, so I know it's do-able.
Cheers - Jonathan

Thanks for the link Jonathan... I'd seen that page once, but forgot to bookmark it. Lots of good info there...
~jp
Jonathan wrote:

El Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:49:58 -0700, dieselsub escribi:

Well, LMC Truck <http://www.lmctruck.com/ carries Suburban emblems and decals, and their online catalog for the 1973-91 Suburban shows the different emblems and decals for different years. Not a lot of detail on which things go with which packages, however.
--
Warren Post
'83 Suburban, 6.2 diesel

Yes especailly when you throw the Chevy and GMC versions into the mix. My 89 4x4 burb is a GMC and uses some different emblems than the Chevy version does. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com