1986 Chevy Pickup

Did a '86 chevy pickup have a computer, and if so what did the computer control, the distributor, and carb????
any help appreciated.

I was wondering this myself. My '86 C10 with 4.3 carb'ed engine has a computer like looking box under the dash on the passengers side. I have no clue what it does, as I disconnected it one day, drove the whole day with no problems. The distributer/ignition/carb, is all wired/vacuumed hosed very closly to my 'ole '78 I used to have. I've been wondering what that box is for. The truck is all original, my father bought it new in '86, and I drive it now. I know starting in '87 the EFI V8's came out, and those do have a computer.
Ken
WHO?? wrote:

I have a '86 Silverado [federal emissions] and it has what is called an ESC [electronic spark control] (computer)... 7 wires total: [F-pink/red wire] +/switch, [K-brown wire] ground, [B-dk. blue wire] knock/detonation sensor, [E-yellow wire] TIP vac switch. Also [G-green wire] high, [H-white wire] low, and [J-black wire] delay---to the ignition module/stator (distributor)
I have yet to figure out the "workings" of the electronic [duel capacity pump] carburetor......... Mine has no "check engine" light, no data link/port, and no self diagnosis capability in the 'puter [reason for no light/port].
what is the "gizmo" for that is located by the heater blower motor, it has 4 wires i think, could be wrong, the wires run into the firewall connected with a few other wires, and the gizmo also has a vacuum hose connected to it, any ideas??

if your carb doesnt have a 2 wire connector on the passenger front corner the only computer is the esc (electronic spark control) computer. this works with your distributor to give you crappy control of ignition timing. your best bet is toget a non esc distributor. these were used all thru the seventies and into the 80's. it is fully self contained and can be put into the block and only needs the b+ wire from your old distributor
it has the 2 wire connector on carb, so thats what i will do, thanks for the help...