1986 Chevy PU Reverse Lights Dont Work

reverse lights arent working at all, any ideas where to look, what color wire does the reverse lights use, the light green??
any help is appreciated.

Do these trucks have a "backup lights" switch? My '90 has gone through 2 of them in the past 3 years... just a thought.
WHO?? wrote:

You may want to try this: check the under-belly of the steering column... there's a device [with AUTO transmission--don't know about manual trans] that engages the back-up lights; it's white in color, and can be moved manually to check for alignment. After buying my '86 Silverado, my back-ups didn't work either... I checked bulbs, wiring, etc.--everything was good, so I went inside the cab. Checked fuses, wiring, etc.--everything good. Next, I found device on steering column, and it seems OK. While checking, I accidentally moved it a couple of "notches", (thought I'd broken the damn thing) and the lights came on--I've had no problems since. BTW... it's in a location that's easy to bump/kick the thing, and knock it out of position/alignment--no doubt what happened to mine.
yes light green is backup color. question? does the turn signals work? there on the same circuit so maybe blown fuse. what transmission? auto? std?

thanks for everyones replies,
the turn signals work fine, it has the 3 speed automatic transmission, i assume a turbo 350

Do you have a wiring harness for a trailer
Mine stopped working and I found that the wiring harness for the trailer was causing the problem. Marc

backup switch is usually mounted on steering colunm at fire wall. I'd get a test light and see if you have power coming out of it first. make sure ign. sw. is on and you have it in reverse.

color
i found the switch, switch is at fault, i put a jumper wire connecting the two terminals and the reverse lights worked, the switch wasnt mounted down at all and just laying up there, what is used to mount it down?? i think i found where it goes on the steering column but i am not for sure.....