1987 350 throttle body injection problem

I have a 1987 GMC suburban with a 350 throttle body injection. Every thing was running fine and then one day it just stopped like it was getting no fuel or spark. When i checked every thing i seen i was getting spark but no fuel out of the injectors. I checked the fuel filter and seen it was clogged. I changed out the filter and every thing started up and ran for a minute then stopped agian no fuel. If i let it set for a couple of minutes or crank on it then it will start and run for a couple of minutes then stop agian no fuel. I need help i seen in the book that there is filters at the injectors them self and that is my next step to check and clean them but not sure after that. Please help

Reply to
highboy78

Your clogged filter probably killed your fuel pump.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I agree, the pump is heating up and failing and it is in the fuel tank too. Also fuel cools and lubes that pump design so you want to not run tank low on fuel a lot as it can shorten its life.

Reply to
SnoMan

I checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working good. I can disconnect the fuel line at the trottle body and i have great pressure. And if i disconnect the fuel line at the out side of the fuel filter i have great flow.

Reply to
highboy78

I checked the fuel pump and all seems good. I have great pressure at the throttle body. I also checked at the out flow of the fuel filter and seems to be good i can't see that the fuel pump has a issue.

Reply to
highboy78

How are you checking the pressure? Opening the line and letting it shoot is no indication of good pressure. With the filter plugged completely as you said, the pump was overworked and is more than likely in dire need of being replaced. The vintage you have is very inexpensive. Make sure you get the pump 'sock' that goes with it. If the inline filter was that bad, the sock shouldn't be much better...also putting way to much of a load on the pump.

Reply to
Shades

Yes!!!!! i only opened the line and let it pump out and shot a great stream out of it. i have never worked on throttle body injection before so this is all very new to me. I bought this truck a week ago and it had been setting for over 6 months on the oregon Coast but drove great from there to nevada and then this problem started. I just know one minute it seems like the injectors have fuel and then all of a sudden nothing a little while later they have fuel agian. So maybe your right the fuel pump is the next place i will look but the bad thing is i just filled the tank.

Reply to
highboy78

I was told that on the Suburban there is a access under the secound seat to the fuel pump to make it easy to change out the fuel pump does any one know if this si true.

Reply to
highboy78

It would have to be under the back of the 3rd seat since the tank is behind the rear-end between the frame rails. I have an '89 Suburban and never saw an access panel. Never looked for one, but never noticed one either. Worth checking into though.

If you need anything for your 'Burban, drop me a line. I have the '89(cargo doors) and an '85(tailgate) I am parting out...Both 4x4. Does yours have the factory DARK tint privacy glass...I have 2 complete sets!

Reply to
Shades

My 89 does not have one and I looked when I was adding some insulation ubder the rug in rear a several years ago. Also if it had one it would behind the 3rd seat, not under it.

Reply to
SnoMan

Sitting still with a short test is not the same as driving for a couple of reasons. One being that the pump gets more voltage when engine is running and another is the fact the fuel moves around in tank is low and can let pump get hotter. Make no mistake, you pump is likley bad and drawing excess power when it warms up a bit and goes into thermal protection because you do not want a hot pump in fuel tank. Bite the bullet and replace the pump and it will fix the problem and afterwards do not run the tank low a lot. Try to keep atleast a

1/4 tank in it for proper cooling and lubing for long pump life. A lot of those pumps went to a earlier grave in vehicle that were run close to "E" a lot.
Reply to
SnoMan

To all thanks for the help every one was right i replaced the fuel pump and all is good. Thanks agian for the help.

Reply to
highboy78