1987 Chevy S10 restarting problems

1987 Chevy S 10 2.8 litre 4 wheel drive

This has been going on for about a year and a half and is worse in the summer.

After a drive usually on the highway I sometimes make a stop at a store and shut the engine off. The truck will start no problem but shortly after leaving it will conk out. This happens in under a minute, I do not make it out of the parking lot. I open the hood, wait 10 minutes, then the truck starts and I leave with no problem.

So my solution is to open the hood when I stop..

Yesterday I replaced the oxegyn sensor in hopes tis may help the problem which it did not.

The engine light has been coming on since I bought the truck.

I replaced all the electronical components to no avail, it was a improvement for a short ime.

I put the truck on a computer at a local shop, he said I need a new oxegyn sensor and EGR valve.

I looked and the EGR valve was not hooked up would this account for this problem?

Yesterday I had new tires put on and it conked out backing out of the garage.

A mechanic spayed some carborator cleaner into the fuel ignition and started.

He said my fuel pump is going, but this has been happening for a while and it seems to have something to do with heat.

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Duggan

Do you have the correct gas cap on it? What about vapor lock in the fuel lines?

Reply to
Bill

Fuel pump?

Reply to
rb

OUCH.

And a new mechanic it sounds like.

Yes it would cause your truck's OBD trouble code for the "EGR valve." It could very well be contributing to the hot start problem also.

It does not sound like a bad fuel pump. The symptoms sound like "vapor lock." The term vapor lock means that the gasoline in the fuel line got so hot it boiled.

Check your fuel line to make sure it has not been modified in a manner that would make it absorb more heat from the engine.

Something like the gas line laying on the engine, no EGR or lack of maintenance would add heat.

If you have a electric fuel pump then turning the key to the ON position for 30 seconds before starting might help.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

The O2 sensor and EGR have nothing to do with starting. (unless the valve is stuck open but then it would idle very badly too). My best guess would be the ignition module. They are notorious for not working when hot. Is the truck TBI injected? If so, can you see fuel being sprayed into the throttle body when cranking? Check for spark when it does it too. It would be nice to know if its a fuel problem or a spark problem. If you do change the module I would do the pick-up coil also. You have to remove the distributer to do the pick-up coil however. You could also check the spark even when it runs for being weak. A weak spark will make it hard to start and points to a bad coil. Of coarse it would be nice to know why the engine light is on.....Good luck.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman