1988 4.3L Update!

I got the gas tank back on yesterday evening.The old one had rusted the bottom out of it.Took me 30 min. to get the fuel filter changed,looked to be the one that came on it,had a hell of a time getting it off.And then when I did I tried to blow through it and it was stopped up.I put

100 psi air through it just a little would pass through.How did it ever run at all?This is the one that had water in the oil.I got a few more things to do to it before I start it up,lost 2 wrenches down in there somewhere.Any Comments welcome,Thanks Bobby
Reply to
bobby swift

I have an 88 S-10 X-cab 4.3 4x4 and changed the fuel pump last spring. It too was the original. It was a major PITA to get the ring off the top that holds it in. Then getting the tank back up under the frame was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I thought the tank was mostly empty (wrong!), and discovered when I dropped it there was 4-5 gallons in it. The movement of the gas made it tough to keep in place long enough to get the bolts in, and then the bands that hold it in place are a 3 arm job and I was doing it by myself on the driveway. Not much fun, though still better than the stupid heater core.

Big Chris

bobby swift wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

I used a floor jack and a chunk of plywood under the tank when I replaced my pump - smooth & easy to drop & line back up when reassembling.

Reply to
Stephen Young

The previous owner of my 1988 Jimmy also had to replace the gas tank. The reason I knew about it was because I asked about the loud fuel pump. He said the pump was loud ever since he changed the tank. I figure he must have left an insulator off it. It's too bad GM doesn't do like Toyota. My 4runners have drain plugs on differentials, automatic transmissions, and gas tanks.

Reply to
chuck

Yes I didn't even explain what a difficult time I had changing the gas tank.My tank was empty it still weighs about 25lbs,witch feels like

250lbs lying beside the jack with the plywood up against my head.Had to let it back down 2 times top strap knocked the overflow hose off,when I let it back down,broke the ground wire.I got to work some more on the engine today.If its gonna look like it's not going well I'm going to leave it alone!Thanks for the comments have a grat day! Bobby
Reply to
bobby swift

Does anyone know where the fuse to the fuel pump is located?I may have to take the tank back off cause the pumps not running. Another question?I took the old alternator to the advance auto and had it checked found it had a bad diode,so I got a new one.Now when I turn the switch on the alternator makes a buzzing sound.Hope someone can answer these questions for me?Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

ECM #2 I believe.

Check the connection at the rear of the tank to the chassis wiring connector. Also make sure the tank is grounded. Does the fuel gauge work? They use the same ground and wiring harness.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the info.I did break the ground wire,I spliced it back together. The pump was running before I installed the new tank.It wasn't pushing the gas to the engine because the filter was completely blocked.I'm thinking about taking the hitch and back bumper off,to make it more accessable.now I gotta find out why the alternator is buzzing when the switch is on.I didn't notice if the gas gauge was working.Thanks Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Could someone tell me if an alternator is supposed to make a buzzing noise when the switch is on?What could cause this,or is this normal?This is a new alternator.I had the old one tested and it showed bad diode.Thanks for any help>Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

No, it should not buzz. H

Reply to
Hairy

I could be wrong but I don't think it should buzz either.This is weird.The electric fuel pump did run on a riged switch some other guy had on it.I put a new fuel tank on it,pretty sure I got everything on it right.The fuel pump would run with the toggle switch on with the ignition switch off or on.He had taken the fuel pump relay off and stuck the 2 wires in the relay switch to make it run on the toggle switch.When I put the wires back it blows the 10 amp pump ecm fuse,so far I've blown

3 fuses moving the wires on 4 slots in were the relay was removed.I'm wondering now if some how it could be related to the new alternator buzzing?Thanks for any help?Bobby
Reply to
bobby swift

The alternator is still buzzing,with ignition switch on.Can't tell if it does when engine is running.It is charging >14.54 on my test meter and

14 on the dash guage.If anyone else has a similar model,let me know if yours is doing the same.I'm really curious about this,setting in the seat I thought it was the fuel pump,but I went to the front and it was the alternator.Thanks Bobby
Reply to
bobby swift