1988 4X4 Front differential

Hi.. I have a 1988 4X4 1500, 350 throttle body engine. auto, shortbed (stepside). The front differential casing is cracked. It has a 342 gear. I have a replacement but would like suggestions on replacing it.
If there is a step by step procedure I would appreciate any input. I have changed engines but never changed the front differential. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance.. J.

You have a replacement casing? Or a complete replacement 3.42 front casing assembly?

It's a complete casing with gears etc.. Would really like any hints to dropping it and replacing with the new one. Everything should be bolt off, bolt on.. But never did it before and if there is anything like how to support the truck, things to do, to watch for etc.. Like to know.. Any suggestions or tricks appreciated.. J.
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:38:56 GMT, "josuha1900"

Replacing it as a unit is not bad at all as its removal is pretty straight forward. The only extra you need to deal with it the front axle disconnect. O would suggest that you change upgrade it to the servo driven one that came out about the time while you have it apart. The older ones where based on heating a gas bubble that cause disconnect to engage while the newer style is servo driven and will start conected even when power is removed and is more reliable. (with old style if you park it in 4wd, it will disconnect when you shut it off while the newer style will not until "told" to do so. It can be retrofited to older models with a harness adaptor that adds a extra wire. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Thanks Snowman. Is there a procedure in a manual that you know of? I'm kind of a amatuer mechanic. If there is a procedure you could point me too, I'd appreciate it. Thanks J.
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:23:44 GMT, "josuha1900"

Strange thing is I just went thru my GM dealer manuals and it tells all about have to repair and inspect it and even how to replace axle disconnect but nothing on removing it. YOu nasical disconnet front driveshaft, disconnect axles fron flanges and remove bolts holding diff to truck frame. THe only other attachement to it is the wires for the axle disconnector. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Snoman, Thankls alot for your time and advise. I really appreciate it. J.
also when in cold water or snow, mine would not activate the bubble because it was too cold. i changed to the newer on with great success in cold temp. old john
Hello, josuha1900! You wrote on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:23:44 GMT:
j>
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:10:07 GMT, "josuha1900"

Are you replacing it as a unit (best plan) or are you planning to try and swap guts between cases? (not a good idea) ----------------- TheSnoMan.com