1988 S-10 Blazer 4.3

I was getting ready to put my intake manifold back and noticed the rear coolant ports on the gaskets are blocked off.What's the purpose of them being blocked?Thanks Bobby

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:59:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

they are blocked because they're not used. a SBC head (or derivatives) will work on either side of the engine, there aren't right or left side only heads. if you look at the intake manifold, there isn't a coolant passage in the rear, like there is in the front.
hth, Bret
Water flows through the front and not the back. The heads fit either side so the back port is blocked on both heads when installed. Check the intake and you will see that the water runs across at the front to get to the thermostat opening.