1989 1500 4x4

My truck turns over too long before starting and also was wanting to know if anyone could tell me where my harmonic balancer mark should be when timing the motor when is warm?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:14:08 -0400, "dru77"

You might check fuel pressure and fuel filter on hard starting and timing it to be set at TDC with timing jumber plug disconnected to be set stock, myself I run my 89 at 8 BTDC and use higher octane fuel and it runs great and gets good MPG too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I have an '89 Suburban 4X4... had hard starting like you described. It turned out to be the contacts on the fuel pump relay (mounted on the firewall). The relay normally pulls in when cranking and applies power to the fuel pump untill either the engine oil pressure switch closes or the power steering pressure switch closes (I forgot which one) to provide power to the pump. If you like let know and I will look at the wiring diagram in the GM shop manual. If these relay contacts don't make up to power the pump, then you have to crank untill you build up oil pressure and the pressure switch closes. It might be a lot of cranking if it's hot (thin oil) which is what mine did or if you have very low oil pressure at low RPM (if it's engine oil pressure which I think it is). Mine was worse when the engine was warm vs. when it was cold. (oil viscosity being the differance).
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:14:08 -0400, "dru77"