1989 4X4 problems with 4wd

I replaced the TLA in the differential but I still seem to have no engagment in the fron t axle the transfer case is shifting as far as I can tell. The
front drive shaft does lock up.THe bulbs are good the fuse is good the TLA is new what else can I check for? I don't have enough jack stands to put the whole truck up in the air to see if it is working properly but when I try and turn with it in 4wd I don't get the common feeling of the tire jumping in a tight turn it is like they are still spinning free as though they are not locked up. The TLA extends out when 4wd is engaged when it is not installed in to the differential, NOt real sure what to check next??? Could something have slipped out of place in the differential?? any suggestions appreciated.
did you put the little aluminum spacer in the axle before you installed the actuator ?

engagment
the
Could
I took the old one out and put the new one in I didn't happen to see any spacer?
there should have been a spacer, it fits into the actuator opening before you put the new actuator in
about an inch in diameter (just fits in the opening) about an inch thick
should have been in the box with the new actuator

was not in the box and did not see an old one either, maybe different style then this one???
must be a different model????
this is the second time in a few years that I have replaced this great part and have never seen a spacer??
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:36:22 GMT, "TranSurgeon"

if he used the '98 up actuator, the spacer doesn't come with the actuator.. it's in the retrofit harness box.. at least mine was. if he's using the old design.. it shouldn't need one should it?
to jeff...
put the front up on jack stands, xfer cas in neutral or 2wd. remove the actuator, take a dowel (1/2-3/4") about a foot long and push in on the CAD plunger INSIDE the diff... it should push in with little effort and engage the axles.. may take some slight turning of the wheels to get the splines to line up. if it doesn't... you've got internal axle troubles and a new actuator won't help you.
hth, Bret

Thanks I will try that tomorrow night after work dang daylight savings gets dark here now at 5:20 I will have to hurry.