1989 chevy transmission removal question.

I have a 1989 1500 4x4. I need to change the trans. I don't want to mess with the torsion bars. Can I remove the trans with the transfer case still connected? Will everything clear and come out in one piece? Thanks in
advance. This is my fisrt post. -Royce-
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<INLINE> ====================== roycecas1 wrote:

Can I remove the trans with the transfer case still

No, it will not.
Will everything clear and come out in one piece?
No, it will not.
Thanks in

yw ~:~ marshmonster ~:~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 18 Apr 2006 21:54:20 -0700, "Marsh Monster"

Correct, it has to come out in two pieces. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Marsh Monster wrote:

Then Take the Truck CAB off!!!

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It looks to me that I don't have enought room to pull the t-case back to clear the gear shaft that comes out of the tranny with the cross member for the torsion bars in the way. With the two connected it looks like I do have enough room to clear the flywheel and drop the two tranny end first. Keep in mind I have the short bed not the long bed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
==============roycecas1 wrote:

============== 3 things, pay attention, carefull attention.
#1 see my first reply.
#2 do it yer way, I don't really care.
#3 I've pulled at least 40-50 of that type THIS YEAR. not last year, or the last 5 years. This year.
so....please see #1.
~:~ MarshMonster ~answering the questions asked...not the ones that aren't~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ok Mr. Mouth. I saw your reply. I did it my way today. It came out in one piece. In fact it came out real easy with the trans connected to the t-case. The problem here is that you have been wrong for so long you thought you were right. If you have an attitude towards people who post wquestions because they want to make sure they do things without screwing up, don't reply. If you can't be nice, don't speak. The world don't need you. Thanks anyway for the reply and thanks to everyone else and also I am sorry to everyone who had to read this idiots reply. To the moderator of this group, thanks a bunch! It's a great group and I hope to learn more from this group. thanks again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:39:20 -0400, "roycecas1"

There will always be someone to do it different just to be different but the CORRECT way is to take it out in two pieces in that body style to easy handling of unit and reduce strain on parts as well. THere is a wrong way and a correctway to do it. How you choose to do it is up to you. BTW, the GM approved way (and they built it) is removal in two peices not one. On the assembly line it is set in in one peice, before body is attached to chassis. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ok, Snoman, Sorry if we got out on the wrong foot here. I appreciate this reply being polite and not sarcasm. Humour me on this one. Now, I would have rather have taken it out in two pieces. Tell me how it is done when there is only 6 inches of room to slide the t-case back and the shaft from the tranny is sticking into the t-case about 8 to 10 inches? Every trans shop I called said the cross member that holds the torsion bars has to come out. I live in the motor city. there is a lot of trans shops around here and they all said the same thing. I have worked on a lot of trans myself. But just not on a 4X4. I am just trying to learn something here. If you have this knowledge then give it to me. That is what the message group is for and that is all I want. You say you have done 40-50 this year. Then you must be a trans tech at a shop or dealer. If they can come out in two pieces then humour me and type it out step by step. Please and Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well, Eric, I would be glad to share my expierience with you. I will post a step by step in the message group when I am done rebuilding the trans I am putting in. I have good info on identifying the transmissions and more. I will also email you with my personal email address so that when you do your trans, you can contact me. I have an email that never changes. Thanks for the reply you posted. You said things very correctly. I don't know why this is guy is even in this group if he is going to be such an idiot to other people. Because I am new he looks at me like I am below him. He was a rookie too one day. He had to ask question too. We all put our pants on the same way. Chat later. watch for my email.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
roycecas1 wrote in message: . I don't know why

================== I do not think you are below me. And....I do not apreciate your thinking that I would be so shallow a being as to think you are without getting to know you a bit more.
and, as far as my have'n been a rookie........ well of course...... 36 years ago.
But....... after being told what an idiot I was for 5 or 10 years or so....... I graduated and now am certifiable.
hopefully, one day, you too will be certifiable like me... then you can offer up great advice from experience too.
~:~ marsh ~adds a few more mushrooms to the pot of boiling tea.....sips his crownroyal~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Once again the Mouth has spoken rudely. He thinks he is so smart and laughs at me about the torsion bars. I guess I wasn't clear. Here is what I did. I only took out the trans mount cross member. I didn't touch the torsion bars so NO I won't be getting the truck aligned! I did drop the Y-pipe to make the job easier. That is all I did. I left the t-case atatched and dropped right out with no prob at all. So like I said, Mr. Mouth has been doing wrong so long he thought he was right. Who looks like the idiot now. Oh yeah here is another neat way to look at this. You have been doing 40-50 a year for years and never figured out how to do it this way and I figured it out on my first job! Gee who is the smart one now? If I can figure out how to that on my first try I wonder what i will be like when i am an old fart like you. HA HA HA. Now lastly, if you don't care, why do you reply? Why do you read the post? LOL I think you do care. LOL
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
. . <<INLINE>> . . ================roycecas1 wrote:

Correct, you were not clear.
. Here is what I did.

Glad to here your way works for you. (there will be a quiz at the end of this...)
I left the t-case atatched and

I find this to be a mistruth. (how's that fer polite?)
So like I said, Mr. Mouth has been

To me.....it's still you.

Please read your own thread. I never stated that I did 40-50 a year for years. As a matter of FACT......my post is quite to the contrary of that statement. However, to your credit, I too was once an idiot, for there was a time when like you, I was stupid enough to attempt it your way. But that was about 35 years ago. lmao
Gee who is the smart one now? If I can

yep........and the world is flat. I know, I know. lol
Now lastly, if you don't care, why do

Because you asked. Because you wanted me to. Because you i like to relieve frustration by pok'n fun at ignorant fools. But mostly.........
jest cuz I can, and you can't stop me!!!!!!!!! lmao
you can try to...... but you can't. (trust me...kill files don't work on me..lmao)
Why do you read the post?
Because....regardless of what you think, I don't care, but I love a battle of wits. It's not really my fault if you don't believe me when I give you adivice, or that you don't particulerly care for the way I give it, or that you aren't able to discern between experienced oversight given with firm rule of order and out right bullheadedness.
LOL I think you do care. LOL
ok.....ok.....i will concede this one point. I care jest a little.
now........for that quiz i told you about............
how easy did that exhaust come off?
now.....don't lie.
~:~ marsh ~still thinks yer an idiot.....as defined by mr webster~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ok, I will answer the quiz in a minute. First, I am very open minded. My problem is your sarcasm. I am new to this 4X4 stuff and don't need a guy that is smart making me feel little. That is offensive. I had ideas and was looking for answers. All you gave was short little "No it will not", "no it will not", And "Then take the cab off!" You never told me why I should do it that way. You were hell bent on or should I say bullheaded about doing it your way and not being questioned about it. I was just asking questions man. That's all. You didn't answer them with the info to back them up. Again I wasn't clear on the reply about your past years. Yes you said that you did 40-50 this year alone not counting what you have done beyond that. Now I notice all your responses to my last message are all just hurt boy digs. I think that is kinda funny myself. Now, about the y-pipe. It came off just as I expected it to. All 6 studs broke off. I know that's what you want to hear. BUT, I grabbed my drill and drilled out the studs in the manifold and I have 6 new nut and bolts to put back in. I have already been down that road with my 89 Iroc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
roycecas1 wrote:

================ No...you are wrong. I was expecting you to lie like "most" of the others do. lmao
however, you have shown great character in telling the truth.
next time, if you want an answer, ask the question.
ok?
and...... if you want to know why now..... yer still gonna have to ask.
however, I'm think'n maybe........ you know why I do it my way now. lmao
~:~ marshmonster ~pours you some shroomjuice...thinks you need it worst than he does~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.