1989 S10 Blazer Tailgate Lock Replacement

It appears someone tried to break into the tailgate on my 1989 S10 Blazer and now the lock handle is disconnected from the lock cylinder. The handle
is loose and doesn't pull on the latches to open the tailgate. I can still open the window via the switch on the dash. How easy is it to replace the tailgate lock/handle? Can the inside panel be removed with the tailgate in the closed position? I'd like to do it myself but don't want to damage the latch control (then the window will be stuck open!)
Anthony wrote:

Not hard once you access the latch rods to open the gate.
Can the inside panel be removed with the tailgate in

Yes, BUT there are two screws that you cannot get to with the gate closed. There are a row along the bottom of the gate, and there is one on each end that you cannot get to with the gate closed.
However since you can open the glass you should be able to reach down into the latch and open the gate. You need an L shaped rod with a hook on the end.
I'd like to do it myself but don't want to damage the

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Would a screwdriver work? I'm assuming I have to push down on the lever that's connected to the lock cylinder?
Spiderman wrote:

You need to pull up on the arm that operates the latch rods. I don't think you can get to the one on the right side of the lock unit that you could push against. The 94 that I am scrapping has the same latch and it is offset to the left of the lock itself. Turn left pulls down on the latch for the hatch and turning to the right unlatches the tailgate.
--
Steve W.