1990 F/S GMC Jimmy Running at 155*

New: Radiator Cap 15PSI w/ Lever Thermostat 195* Upper/lower radiator hose Installed prestone flush system.
Just running water / radiator cleaner right now (3-6 hours of run time,
flush, fill with 50/50)
BTW: I only thought the second would change anything (thought maybe it was a "high performance" 160* or something, but it was a 190*).
-- "Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson Formerly: KJ the Lonely Grease Monkey
BTW it's a 350 auto, temp is according to the OEM temp. (Just below the 1/4 mark on the gauge)
-- "Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson Formerly: KJ the Lonely Grease Monkey

who
How long has it been running this temp? Have you felt the radiator after letting the engine run (like after driving somewhere) to see if it is getting hot? If the radiator is getting hot, that indicates your gauge/sender is acting goofy, as the radiator wouldn't be hot unless the temp was getting high enough to trigger the thermostat to open. I would start there.
Big Chris

1/4
was
GMC Gremlin wrote:

1/4 mark on an OEM GM guage "is" 195 degrees. Not in all cases, but in the case of your vehicle, yes.
Ian
So is this like the gas gauge in my truck, a hopeless situation? Nothing to do to make it right?
-- "Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson Formerly: KJ the Lonely Grease Monkey

GMC Gremlin wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "right". Most GM vehicles of that vintage (in fact, of all years) have temperature gauges that are nothing more then general indicators of where the engine temperature is sitting. Most of the vehicles I've dealt with over the years (GM) end up running at the 1/4 mark when at t/stat temp. If you really want to be accurate, you have to either use a scan tool, or use a mechanical gauge. The temperature "sending" units are accurate on GM vehicles, but what you see on the gauge doesn't always correspond to actual temp numbers. Have you ever noticed that if you try to divide the 1/4 marks on the gauge according to the temp numbers shown at the bottom and top of the gauge, it always appears that the gauge is not reading anywhere near 195? That's because the temp gauge movement is not linear.
Ian
He he... why do you think I thought it was running at 155*? "I did the math".
-- "Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson Formerly: KJ the Lonely Grease Monkey

Hi!
KJ, you are killing me. Just when someone came up with a Usenet handle I'd want to use, that same person takes it!
Just kidding...
William The Guesser
I think "The "K" Car" moniker is still free if you want it.
Big Chris