1990 GMC Jimmy Removal of Doors

Is it hard? It has: Power windows, power mirrors, power locks.
Why? I think it looks kinda bad ass... just for fun to see what it's like... annoy my girl friend... etc.
GMC Gremlin
Two reasons I am replying to my own message: 1: To cross post to alt.trucks.chevy 2: I also forgot to mention: How hard is it to put the doors back on. AND figure I'd like to do this as a 1 person job.
GMC Gremlin

And again.... I'd assume that it's legal to have no doors in NH - but the mirrors are on the door. Do I have to have those mirrors, can I have no mirrors, or do I have to put mirrors on in the meanst while? I've notice that CJ's have the mirrors mounted to the body - but that doesn't necessarily mean you *need* mirrors?
GMC Gremlin

I think you at least have to have a rearview mirror. I don't no about side mirrors

like...
Taking the doors off will entail:
Removing the door panels, then removing every wire from it's retaining clip, noting where it is routed. So that when you reinstall it, the window won't tear it on it's way up or down.
You'll have to unplug the wire from the power window motor, lock servo and mirror, and follow the above directions. then snake the wires out of the hole in front of the door, and remove the grommet.
Get a tire crayon, or a good permanent marker that will contrast against the color of your truck, then trace around the hinges (This doesn't absolve you of adjusting the doors when you put them back on!)
Get a floor jack that will go up high enough, get foam padding and put it on the jack saddle. Place the jack about a little off center towards the front of the door, it's a little heavier at the front. Start removing the bolts, and pray like a Mo-Fo that it doesn't tilt in either direction and drop to the ground!
To answer your mirror question: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards specify that: "There shall be at least a mirror on the driver's side outside, in some configuration!"
Refinish King

like...

There are:
Two wires to:
The lock Servo The power window motor The speaker (If so equipped) 6- To the power mirror 4- To the power window switch 2- To the power lock switch 6- To the power mirror switch
The power mirror wires come out of the door, because only the power feed comes into the grommet and boot.
All in all, I think you can do it, but I'm sure you'll need someone to hold the door, and you'll have to fine tune the adjustment on the door after bolting it back on.
A word to the wise: Leave the hinges on the truck, then there will be less adjusting to do! and the bolts on the hinge to pillar are a bit tough to get to, unless you have universal sockets.
Refinish King

I was more thinking about the # of wires going through the door jam. I wasn't very specific though... So do all those go through the grommit? The only reason I ask about the wires is because they make plates that have 4 contacts. You put one on each side of the door jamb, and they connect when the door is closed (and disconnect when it's open). But then there are no wires to disconnect if I were to do this often. However, the plates are pretty large and if I were to make provisions for all of the (potential) 24 wires that would be 6 plates - per door - (maybe 2 fewer wires on the passenger side door because only 1 window switch, still the same # of plates). Anyway you slice it - 6 of these plates (I think there about 3" tall) would be hard to fit.... I wonder if anyone has ever made it as easy to do as it is on a jeep.....
Thanks for the help.
GMC Gremlin

No problem!
I wouldn't trust those plates!
You have taken a flexible connector, and turned it into a moving part. Many vehicles with inoperative door lights, power window switches and license plate lights. Have some variant of the plates you are describing, a very unreliable set up.
Alternatively, look for a multi connector plug, or several different shaped plugs, so that you can not mix up the plugs on reassembly. If you choose to remove the doors regularly.
Refinish King

it's