1992 S10 suspension problem revisted

I posted a while back that my truck was swervy. When you drive down the road it feels like the truck is swaying back and forth and it's hard to keep it straight without people thinking I'm drunk. :)

I rotated the tires tonight to see if the old tires were the cause and I discovered the right tire can move back and forth over an inch on the back side of the tire. I noticed the idler arm was moving up and down well over a half inch as well as the normal side to side.

I tightened the steering sector too and went too far. Hard to steer. :) hehe fixed it.

I had the idler arm replaced about 40K ago. It is the kind that bolts to the frame and does not have a bolt at the pivot, just a grease zert. Is this something I can easily replace? Will I need a pulling fork to get it off the linkage? It looks like a simple bolt going through the linkage and taking the bolts off the frame and replacing it.

The part is only $16. :) Do you think I can do it? I've replaced shocks, repacked bearings and such but never tried linkage stuff before.

Lannie

Reply to
LS

I've not changed on on an S10, but on the fullsize (88 K2500) it was pretty straight forward, take off the castle nut, use a 2 jaw puller to pop out the old idler, undo the 2 bolts that hold it to the frame, remove idler. then you prep the new idler, bolt it to the frame, hook up the centerlink, torque everything, grease 'er up and go get an alignment.

HTH Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase