1993 GMC starter problems

I am looking for some help on fixing the starter problem on my truck. I have a 1993 GMC 1500 Z71 with the 5.7 engine, it has about 133,000 miles on it. A
few weeks ago I had a new flywheel put on as the old had worn spots in it and was causing the starter to grind. After the new flwheel was installed the truck ran fine for a few days then the starter grinded again, so I tightened the starter bolts down and it ran fine for about a week then it started to grind again. It only grindes when I try to start it, but it does not grind all the time; it'll be fine for a few days then it will grind and then it'll run fine again. I have checked the connections to the starter, cleaned the ground on the battery and the engine, used a 1/2 inch drive socket to tighten the bolts down real good, starter to flywheel spacing seems to be okay, also the starter is about four months old but was used on the old flywheel before it was replaced, so I am wondering if something in the starter could be bad from the worn flywheel. It seems as if the starter is not engaging the flywheel when the truck is turned over, however it does not happen every time. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Why wasn't the starter drive replaced at the same time,
Also, why wasn't the starter drive to flywheel clearance checked/
On a side note, that engine if I am not mistaken. Uses the crank position sensor in the timing cover?
Check the cranking ignition timing, if it goes over 20-38 degrees. Replace the crank position sensor.
I hope this helps?
RK
PS This is only a guess!

Just for reference, not cutting in here, that year still used a distributor and electronic advance but the base timing could be set.

-
Refinish King wrote:

mechanic from a local repair shop replace the flywheel and I assumed that he inspected the starter and clearence, but I did not ask him directly. Thanks for the advice!!
I would say your starter drive is going bad. You can replace just the drive, but I would just replace the entire starter and move on.
Did you get to see the old flywheel? Did it have worn teeth? Usually a flywheel will have worn teeth in 3 areas, generally where the engine always stops when you turn it off.
James

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-trucks/200612/1- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
James1549 wrote:

I had the starter drive replaced and am wating to see if that fixed the problem. The starter repair shop that replaced the drive is a very reputable starter shop within the area and he said that the drive did not seem to be bad, but replaced it anyway. He also inspected the starter for any other problems but did not see any. You are correct about the flywheel, it did have three worn spots in it. Thanks for the advice. I am hoping that the new drive fixes the problem.

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-trucks/200612/1- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
An intermittent starter drive problem may not show up on a bench test unless it is really bad. You can't put no real load on a drive when off the vehicle. James

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-trucks/200612/1- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -