1994 chevy starter shims

How do you shim the starter for a 1994 chevy 350. I am having a hard time finding someone that actually knows how to use the shim masurement rod and to do this properly. Can someone explain how to measure the
distance from the starter and flywheel. using this tool. My starter makes the most horrindous sound when trying to start so I KNOW its not right.
Thanks
me
I've always use a 1/8" pin between the starter shaft and the flywheel, works great every time. I have used this method probably 1,000 times or more and it always works for me.