1995 Blazer 4wd auto transmission problem

Hi, I have a 1995 Blazer S10 (4.3, 4WD, auto) and the transmission suddenly does NOTHING when in 2WD. No forward gears or reverse. When you shift from park into a gear, there is no feeling of the transmission shifting and the engine revs freely, as though you were still in park and the truck doesn't move at all. The fluid level is correct. The transmission also makes a grinding or clattering noise when shifted into park. When in 4WD, it seems to function normally (I can drive the truck). I haven't pulled the pan yet to have a look, but does it sound like the tranny is trashed? Could it possibly some sensor or electronic switch causing this? I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance. AB

Reply to
AB

Sounds to me like you have some sort of issue in the "transfer case", not the transmission.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

suddenly

shifting

transmission

If the truck moves in 4 wheel drive it isn't the transmission, can't be. Sounds more like the transfer case has a problem. Either a broken output shaft to the rear end OR the rear end itself went bad. Have someone look under the truck from the side while you put the trans in gear in 2 wheel drive. If they see the driveshaft moving but the truck isn't moving you lost the rear end. If the driveshaft isn't moving you lost either the splines in the yoke or the output shaft in the transfer case. Either way it isn't going to be cheap.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
comicscardsandmore

Reply to
Adam F.

Depends on what broke. If all that happened is a spider gear let loose in the diff, might not be to awfully expensive to fix. Used to carry a set of spiders and a cross shaft with me in Germany all the time, something about 350hp 327 and a four speed going through a stock Vega rear end and a bad wheel hop if you let the clutch out too fast.. The noise when shifted into park is the parking pawl trying to engage while the drum is still spinning. Another possibility is a busted axle shaft. You don't say when or how this happened/was found, and that can be a major clue to pointing you in the right direction. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You had a V8 Vega !!! I thought us folks were a dying breed. I had 2 different ones and have a Starfire with a HOT small block in it in the shop.

Reply to
Steve W.

I once moved a large refrigerator with a vega hatchback. It barely fit in the opening, almost half of it stuck out, and almost raised the front end off the ground.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

haha thats some funny stuff !!!

I once had a 70 Chevy Monza with the Buick v6, I loved it and wish I could find another

Reply to
Adam F.

There is a 76 camback GT Wagon in the garage now, and a '66 283 small journal forged steel crank engine on the stand next to it :). It only took me 6 years to find a good wagon body. don't like the hatch backs, they flex too much. Need to find 73 or earlier grill, front cowl etc, don't like the slope nose look. I know its smoother through the air, but I like the original nose the best. Alas because of my MS, this one will be an automatic, sigh.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Yeah I like the mini Camaro nose myself. Wish I'd have known you needed a nose, I had a '72 GT that I scrapped about a year ago. Had good front sheet metal. I can check with a couple folks I know who still have a couple around, they might have a spare nose around. Or you could go with 'glass. I put a frame kit under this one before doing any other work, took the flex out of it, dropped a 327 into it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W.

I found that the wagons don't have the flex problems the hatch backs have. I've owned about 6 over the years, and built about a dozen more for other people. Stuffed a few 289's and 302's into Pintos, and even shoe horned a

340 into a '76 Plymouth Arrow, remember that one looked like the early Mercury Capri? Also done a few Datsun pick-ups and two datsun 510 sedans, a couple of 240/260 Z's V-8 conversions as well, and a bunch of Luv trucks and S-10s., almost forgot, 2 small block chevy conversions on Jags(would like to forget, conversion kits stunk). I did my first Vega in '77 while in Germany from scratch, made everything. Saddle mount made from 3 inch wide by 1/2 inch thick cobalt steel across the front of then engine to the frame rails. worked better than any kit I saw on the market then or since.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

For the longest time I used to want a stock looking Vega hatchback or wagon ,a sleeper ;) .With a small [light] v8 or large c.i. V6 so the front end didn't have the common problems.When I was 8 my dad had one,beautiful blue,I was instantly in love.

Reply to
D-farr