1995 chevrolet K1500 rear axle noise

My 95 chev rear end is starting to make noise when the transmission shifts. It does it more after driving for a while. It sounds like u-joints going out except I replaced them hoping that might be it.
I checked visually the rear diff and changed the oil. On the magnet was some very fine material but it did not seem excessive. I have taken the truck to two different shops and neither had any clue. The truck has 195,000 miles so I know something needs to be done. Does anyone have any ideas what I might look for? Thanks
If you describe the noise, it might help us a little. Ours had a clunk .... not always, but was pretty loud. After opening up the rear, We noticed that the pinion gear had one tooth gone and it was sitting in the bottom of the diff case. we found a recent vintage low mileage tahoe that had the same rear end and replaced it complete.
good luck

2WD or 4WD?
Doc

well, i hope this is not it but last week i replaced a rear in a 90 blazer ( i think that was the year). The pinion grears had self distructed taking out the carrier and the ring gear. Before this happend the owner described a wooowing noise after driving for 3-5 minutes then a loud clunking before the truck stoped dead in its tracks.
The truck is a 4x4. The noise it makes is a clunk when the torque hits the rear axle. The noise happens both on acceleration and deaccel. The rear diff does not make any other noise that would point me to it.
The truck is a 4x4. The noise it makes is a clunk when the torque hits the rear axle. The noise happens both on acceleration and deaccel. The rear diff does not make any other noise that would point me to it.

Try greasing your slip yoke. If you've already replaced the u-joints and you say the ring and pinion look good, it's the most likely culprit aside from a bad transmission or transfer case mount.
Pull the rear driveshaft from the transfer case, slop some high-quality grease inside the yoke, and reassemble. Common problem on this vintage truck. Usually the "clunk" is most noticeable when accelerating from a dead stop or when the truck -just- comes to a stop then kinda clunks a split second after the vehicle has actually stopped rolling.
Doc
Thanks Doc. I will look into it. What you described also happens. Bill