1995 chevy 454 lack or loss of power

I pull a large rv, sometimes this engine pulls well and other times not so well. Last time out on a 6% grade I was down to 30mph. The time before, it pulled this same grade at 48mph. I have owned this truck since 1997 (19000 mi)(currently 90000mi)It has, on some occasions, seemed to not be pulling well on a medium grade and it would be like a turbo was turned on. It has a tach and there was no rpm change like the transmission had shifted down, it just simply started running better. I keep up on all of the routine maintenance. Air filt, fuel filt, distributore & rotor, plug etc. What are the possibilities and in what order would you recommend in running down this problem?

Reply to
joe70

routine

My first question to you is, how about fuel quality and type? Did you see different towing performance under different tempature conditons? I am thinking that maybe you are possibly suffering for dentination and the ECM is retarding spark a lot to control it and a power loss is resulting. THis would be the first thing to check because poor/low octane fuel can result in a power loss in a modern engine.

Reply to
SnoMan

I would suggest retiring the 454 and get a diesel engine.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

I agree with Snoman, fuel quality makes a differance. You might also consider the weather too, high pressure fronts allow the most hp to be developed. This is noticable at WOT, most likely you were close to WOT on the grades.

The other thing is fuel starvation, dirty filter, wrong filter, dirty injectors.

I've had a similar problem on a 5.7, and have yet to pinpoint it. But it does seem to get better if it is shut off and started again after 10 min of driving.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I would work the problem. Besides a diesel cost 6 to 7 k more AND its fuel is likely to cost a lot more per gallon too off setting any MPG gains a good bit when you figure over all operating costs. I look for diesel to be $2.75 to $3.00 this winter or maybe a lot higher because heating oil stock are low and they compete for same base stock. Gas this winter should be about $2/gal give or take maybe 10%. 454 is a great towing motor and was a great tower 30 years ago too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Thank you SnoMan. You are the second person who has told me fuel quality may be the problem. I'll try it next time I hook up.

Reply to
joe70

Thanks for the reply. I will try higher octane fuel the next time I hook up.

Reply to
joe70