1996 astro van, egr valve.. mileage, etc..

Hi..

since the astro van is awd.. and really a truck I thought I'd come here and ask..

Is there an EGR valve replacement that will solve the problem that seems so common?

My mileage on the highway is 16 at best, so far.. just bought it.. what can I do to improve it? K&N air filter? Better type of spark plug/wire?

How about synthetic oil.. I honestly don't know much about this stuff.. but I've had people tell me it might make a difference at least in engine longevity.

I'm already planning on removing the trailer hitch and storing the rear seat whenever I don't need it, to reduce weight.

I've also heard a power exhaust tip might give me a couple of MPG.. any truth to this..?

I'd feel pretty darn good about this thing if I could just get that mileage up and feel like the EGR valve is going to be less of a hassle.

Someone said remove the intake and bead blast it and that solved their EGR prob for a couple of years.. I know nothing about that. you?

thanks.. and feel free to email, as I don't always get messages in newsgroups right away..

Any astro van owners out there... or anyone for that matter, with hints or tips on performance improvement, etc.. I'll greatly appreciate any help.

And by the way.. eventually I'd like to trick it out a bit.. maybe fancy tail lights.. a bra *the hood has some pretty big chips in it..* window tint.. even diddley stuff like license plate frames..

where's the best deal on stuff like that..?

I've found a couple of sites, but they don't even have pictures.. strangely.

happy motoring. and many thanks in advance..

patrick

Reply to
Twang

Worst thing you could do. Lets so much dirt in it will eat your engine.

AC Delco is the best, don't know if it will change your milage.

Don't use it, but it sounds like great suff.

Uh, doubt it. Might make it look cool though...

EGR's suck, and don't use the gas gauge as an on-off switch. The best thing you can do is be as smooth as possible.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Nope, but there is a gasket with a filter screen that will stop the problem.

Contact them for your nearest location.

Won't do anything but allow more dirt into the engine and cause more trouble.

New plug wires, cap/rotor, AC Delco Rapidfire plugs

stuff.. but

Will help in cold starting and will last longer than crude based, Both good things

That won't make much difference either way.

Nope, not unless you think that the kid next door with the garbage can exhaust tip on his Huyandi really has a clue. The only thing the tip will do is hold water and cause the exhaust to rust off that much faster. The ONLY real gains made with an exhaust system start with headers, crossover pipe, and mufflers sized to the engine and then tailpipes to carry it out the back.

Mileage on the 4.3s parent engine (350) were never that great,I don't know why people expect an engine built out of a lot of the same hardware to be a mileage engine. Not going to happen...

Might help some to reduce the carbon already built up but it will come back. Best solution I have heard of so far is pulling the intake and having it extrude honed to polish the passages, but it ain't cheap.

Yep put them tail lights on,so what if they are Illegal in most states, Now the bra isn't a bad thing but it will probably cause more damage than it hides, Best thing is to repaint and put some chip shield covers on.

Reply to
Steve W.

checking that out, thanks.

I've read about that elsewhere now, too. No way to improve the air intake then..

will check that out, too. everyone seems to say AC delco on the plug wires. what about plugs? Iridium plugs I read.. increase mileage, better spark..?

I'm gonna think hard on that one.. sounds good to me. Slick 50 with regular oil do anything?

Takes out about a hundred pounds.. I guess you're right though.. that aint much in this monster.

So much for manus claims then?

I've talked to several other owners.. they're getting 20 22 hiway.. I'm getting 16. It seemed to me there should be some reason for that.

I think the filter idea sounds smarter.

I didn't know that. Hell, they don't even mention it in the ads. darn things sure look good. *G*

The hoods got the worst of the paint chips.. some dime sized.. get behind a semi and the astro van eats whatevers thrown up right on the hood.. two nicks in the windshield, too.. gotta look into that. I thought it might be cheaper to just get one of those hood covers..Haven't checked price on those or paint yet, though.

Thanks!

Reply to
Twang

No, AC Delco plugs. NOTHING better, period.

Makes your wallet lighter (improves gas milage)

What monster?

Heavy foot, lead foot, on-off..... rolling terain, average drive differances.

Just get a DOT approved set and flick off the pig. Once you have the rating, it's all good. (If it says DOT on the light thats even better)

covers..Haven't

Primer.... astros just don't look good enough to paint.... beat the piss out of it it's a average joe's work "truck"

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to