1996 Blazer multifunction switch replacement

Hi, a friend of mine has a 1996 Blazer and the turn signal no longer works. The relay is good, as evidenced by the fact that the hazards work. He's unable to see how to get the switch out to replace it.
He says there's a panel underneath the steering column that he was able to remove, but he can't get the top half of the steering column cover off to change the switch.
Suggestions?
~jp
JP,
I'm not sure if the 1996 is the same as a 1997, but there are two separate "flashers". One for the turn signals and another for the hazard lights.
You need to get into the dashboard behind the ashtray. As I recall, it wasn't that easy. Also, the flashers are held in place by a retaining ring of sorts. I was able to use a small thin-walled plastic tube to release the flasher. Since I had to replace the one for the turn signals, as a precaution, I also replaced the hazard flasher at the same time.
What bothers me about all of this is that Chevrolet should be ashamed of themselves for such a poor design. Just think what a mechanic would have charged to replace a $2.00 part. Most likely it would have been an hour's labor at the local rate, which around here would start at $65 on up.
In any case, hopefully your friend's 1996 is the same and it will only cost him a couple of bucks for a new flasher instead of replacing the switch on the steering column.
Hope this helps. Let us know how he makes out.
Peter.

Actually, he was quoted 2 hours labor by the dealer. He spoke to them after I posted this and they're quoting $600 for the job, and that part is $400 new. That's such a ripoff. Even one of the dealers suggested pulling an entire column from a wreck.
In any case, they'll only install a new AC Delco part, not a used or aftermarket part. He's found something else online that he'll try tonight, and if that doesn't work I suggest that a shop, not the dealer, replace the part with either used or aftermarket.
I'll post back the results.
Thanks,
~jp

I had no brake lights on a 97 S10 Blazer, it was the turn signal switch. They wanted $400 for the part, and I was able to talk them down to $280. Sometimes the sales rep will give you a break. Changing it out was not easy. Had to get some torx sockets. Careful with the airbag.
--
please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

"Jon R. Pickens" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
I had a dealer rip me off for that part. I think I also paid $280. turns out the part wasn't bad they wouldn't refund my money.

For later model blazers there was a recall for defective multifunction switches. One of these notices RCRIT-01V364-5266.PDF provides instructions on how to replace the switch.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId V364
Good luck to you , Charlie