1996 silverado ABS codes;

Well had the codes scaned for my ABS light always on. I got the following: C0021, c0022, c0026,c0035, c0037.

He asked me if I had unpluged anythign and I told him I had at the module under the hood earlier in the week. He did some fidling with his scanner and said the codes came back again and that the unit either was bad, or there was a ground problem somewhere.

This is my daily driver but has 315,000 on it so I dont want to put alot of money in it. I do all of the work on it myself. Thing is, I think it needs a master cylinder. But, if the ABS cant be cylced to purge air, how can you do it? Elsewhere in this forum someone suggested a procedure which I am willing to try, but if I mess up and get somethign wrong and get air in the system I am not sure what I will be able to do.

1) Is it possible or even feasible to just , with new plumbing, bypass the ABS module. (Run lines directly from mast cylinder to brakes.

2) If this could possible be a ground, where do I look?

I will say maybe once every two months I get in it and the light stays off untill I get on the highway. My hopes go up thinking it fixed itself then it always comes back. 90% of th etime the light comes on as soon as the key is turned over.

I appreciate any help as I am at a loss.

Reply to
stryped

I think the Kesley Hays ABS units had a known problem from that era. My

95 has a dead motor, and its one of them. I have replaced the master years ago, and I didn?t have a problem. You can bleed it on the bench, then bleed at the lines once you get it on the Vac assist assy. (air rises, make that work for you ) You might have to buy some fittings, since not all MC's come with extra fittings to bleed on the bench.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Is there a way to make the dash ABS light go off? I owuld like to fix it but dont want to put too much money in it.

Reply to
stryped

I yanked the 60A fuse in the under hood fuse cluster for the ABS. ( I think it was 60A)

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle