1997 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Hello, I have a 1997 S-Blazer. I bought it used a couple years ago, and the ignition lock has always been tricky.

It used to be that all I had to do was take the key out and turn it over if I couldn't turn it, either to start the car or to turn on the accessories.

Now, an additional problem has developed. When I go to shut off the engine, more than half of the time, the key won't turn all the way back, so that the key isn't released. It's not a huge problem, I just carry another key in case it gets stuck so that I can lock the doors and leave the one in the ignition.

My question is: Has anyone ever replaced the lock cylinder in the steering column of a similar vehicle? I've replaced the cylinder in the drivers door of my 1994 K1500, and that was pretty easy. The dealership keyed it off of my VIN so it would match the other door. I'm just not sure about taking the whole steering column apart to get the old cylinder out and the new one in. Any good online references about this sort of thing?

Thanks! NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

Yeah, We do it all the time, as I am a locksmith. It's not hard to do, pretty straight forward.

Let me know how it goes, or if you need help.

Edward.

Reply to
Crooked-Ridez