1997 Chevy Suburban 4x4 diesel steering problem

1997 4x4 Diesel Suburban driving at any speed will suddenly veer to the left, I have to hold the steering wheel the other way to compansate, after slowing right down and making a hard right turn there is a loud
clunk and the steering go straight again. I have changed the steering column sensor. Bearings and Ball Joints have been checked and are ok. A friend suggest that the 4 wheel drive is trying to engage? Help please Cheers Doug
--
tarka190
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com