1997 S-10 occasional no start

i have a 97 s-10 4cyl 5 speed that sometimes will not start. press the clutch, turn the key all the dash lights come on and i can hear the fuel pump engage, but nothing happens (not even a click). it is like you haven't pressed the clutch at all. i have had the nuetral safety switch and the starter replaced at different times to try to correct this problem. even had it towed to the garage because it wouldn't start in the driveway. when the mechanic got it to the shop, it cranked right up. also will start if you push the truck and pop the clutch. this has been going on for 2 years or better. does anyone have any ideas??? thanks for your input.

Reply to
rustyshackelford

Ignition switch or wiring to the switch?

Reply to
Stephen Young

I too have the no start condition and hope I solved mine with a new starter. So damm intermitt that I am not certain if starter fixed the problem. The start relay under the hood costs about 40 bucks from dealer.

there seems to be a long path to the starter that goes something like this on the automatic transmission version, but I suspect the manual has similar

Key to neutral/park shift sensor to start relay under hood to finally the starter solenoid and then the starter windings. Any place along the line can mess things up. If you can probe at the relay under the hood, this would be a good half way point to determine which direction to go.

Reply to
hardworking

thanks guys, i hope to get this resolved today. or atleast eliminate a possibility or two. i'll let you know how it goes.

Reply to
rustyshackelford

o.k. it's been a while but i finally got this issue resolved. remove the nuetral saftey switch and use a jumper wire to bypass the switch. worked like a charm. thanks

Reply to
rustyshackelford

So, your starter will now engage when the transmission is in gear?

Reply to
Advocate

Try adjusting the switch. If you can't, replace it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig