1997 S-Blazer stalling

Hi all! I'm hoping some of you might be able to provide me with some guidance.
My 1997 s-blazer (4x4, 4.3L) has been stalling, somewhat randomly. The
problem started out to be very infrequent, maybe once every couple months last summer/fall. The first time I thought it was wierd, and I hoped maybe it was a fluke. It wasn't predictable enough at that time to really track down or reproduce.
Over time, it has grown more frequent. Now, it seems to be a daily occurance, usually 2-4 times a day.
Here is what I've been able to put together:
I sometimes have to crank the engine a second time before it starts (cold or hot) The truck is always in gear (forward or reverse) when it stalls It occasionally stalls while idling at a light or stop sign It occasionally stalls while braking It occasionally stalls while coasting/driving <30MPH or so -It is common in parking lots, pulilng in/out of spaces, driving slowly -pulling in and out of driveways/parking lots (into traffic!) It *possibly* is a little bit sluggish merging on the freeway
Pressing the accelerator at just the right moment can sometimes avoid the stall.
My wife said that it doesn't accelerate as quickly as it used to, but I haven't noticed that when I've driven it. It's seemed to run as strong as ever to me. It is possible that she had the AC compressor running at the time. I don't drive it as much as she does though, so maybe she is right. I usually drive my pickup (K1500 with a 4.3L, 33x12.5R15's, and 4.10 gears), and compared to it, the blazer is a rocket, so my preception of acceleration may be a bit skewed.
Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? I'm at a loss as to how to track this problem down. I don't get a steady check engine light (does this mean that there aren't any codes being posted?), and the blazer almost always starts right up on the first try (although, sometimes stalls again as soon as it's put into gear). When the engine dies, I get the dash lights for "check engine", "ABS", and "airbag", but they all go off as soon as the engine is restarted.
I've checked the battery terminals to make sure I didn't have a loose ground, but they were clean and tight. I've also tried to wiggle every connector under the hood that I can get my hands on, but I haven't found a loose connection yet.
For what it's worth, the fuel pump and filter were replaced about 15 months ago.
Any ideas? Thanks! Matt
EGR valve.
~KJ/TLGM

maybe
or
gears),
acceleration
as
light
dash
soon
months
That's the part that I was suspecting.
I'll replace it this weekend, and hopefully fix the problem.
Is it common for these to fail?
Thanks! Matt

wrote

Hi Doc, The check engine light goes off again as soon as we shut the key off and restart the engine. I guess this sort of led me to believe that there weren't any codes being posted. Does the check engine light sometimes not light up for certain codes? -Matt

Whenever the SES light comes on a code has been set. The light turns off because the light only remains on when the problem is present, shutting her off and restarting resets the duty cycle and keeps the light off until the problem is present again. Get thee to Autozone or Napa and have it scanned before you purchase anything. The light will not illuminate for certain codes.
Doc

Autozone.
Hello again, I took a trip over to Autozone this evening. The truck stalled 4 times during the round trip, but the scanner revealed nothing. It said that everything was OK, which set me back to square one.
I explained the problem to the guy that ran the scan for me. He said that it seemed to him like it was idling a little rough, and that a new set of plugs and wires might be all it needs.
The Blazer has about 80,000 miles on it. I've only owned it since 50,000 (about 2 years ago), so I don't know if they're the originals or not. I guess new plugs and wires aren't out of the question, but it almost seems too simple.
Any thoughts?
-Matt

her
scanned

No codes? That's weird as hell. When the SES light comes on it sets a code and it's stored in memory until it clears itself after a predetermined # of duty cycles or is erased.
Could just need a tune up if it's 80k on the originals. Pull a few plugs and have a look. If they're shot replace them. Run the engine at night in a DARK place with the hood lamp off and look for a fireworks show. If you see one, the plug wires are shot and need replaced.
Doc

off
the
I still think he has an EGR problem. There not *too* hard to pull, I'd try a u-pull-it-yard or trying a friends known working. The latter would probably be the best. That should get him someplace.
~KJ/TLGM

that
of
50,000
seems
code
of
in
shutting
certain

times
plugs
you
turns
until
I don't like a $5 guess. That's why I'd try someone's known-working EGR to see if it fixes the problem....
~KJ/TLGM

that
said
set
not.
#
night
it
You might wanna talk to a dealer first. There was a recall on the EGR valve and a free replacement offered. My Blazer (95) ate two of them in a year....and they ain't cheap. But poor design causes them to get choked with carbon. You can clean one (Techron gas additive will do it) and get another year or more out of it also. Symptoms are, wanting to stall out unless you keep foot on gas, and a definite loss of power. Every stop light and stop sign are an adventure!! <g>.
wrote