1997 transmission problem

1997 1500 4x4. started truck and service engine light came on. put truck in 3rd and hesited to drive forward, put in reverse and drove fine. put in 2nd gear and it drove normal. tachometer and mph gauge not working. the truck runs normal only in 2nd gear. I put it on a computer and these codes came out PO740,PO753,PO758,PO785, and P1860. I don't know if its a computer problem or tranny is going out. ARE THESE codes a part or what? Is it something I can fix or take to a shop?

-- Message posted using

information at

garlando4

I would say from the info that your overdrive clutches are going out and a bad rebuild is in your future. but i have been wrong before on such short information. is it a 4le60? well?

Hello, garlando4! You wrote on Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:42:17 -0400:

g> 1997 1500 4x4. started truck and service engine light came on. put g> truck in 3rd and hesited to drive forward, put in reverse and drove g> fine. put in 2nd gear and it drove normal. tachometer and mph gauge g> not working. the truck runs normal only in 2nd gear. I put it on a g> computer and these codes came out PO740,PO753,PO758,PO785, and P1860. I g> don't know if its a computer problem or tranny is going out. ARE THESE g> codes a part or what? Is it something I can fix or take to a shop?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I disagree with this. All the codes suggest a valv lbody solenoid problem that could be from electronic controller on side of tranny that shifter hooks to. It could aslo be a bad conection in control harness. (BTW, it would be a 4L60e which is nothing more than a 700R4 with a electronically controlled valve body). This is very likely just a valve body/control issue.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

using

More information at

Check and make sure you're getting voltage at the transmission. The "E" wire on the harness. (yes...it says "E" on the connector, if you know where to look)

no voltage.....no shift.....lotsa codes.

anywhooooo..... if it's setting all the solenoid codes......ck for 12 volt supply at the tranny first.

VEEEERRYY......bad problem with GM ignition switches not sending the signal to the trans...very well documented.... so.....ck it.

If that is it, the fix is as simple as running a single wire....... sorta...kinda...well.....yeah..it is.

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster