1998 Chevrolet 2500 Cheyenne w/ 5.7 Vortec Engine

Dear NG:
Available to me I have the following truck.
1998 Chevrolet 2500 Cheyenne 5.7L vortec (CPI) engine (130K) 4L80E (130K) 14 bolt rear (3.73) w/ positraction
2x4 operation
I own the following truck:
1990 GMC FS Jimmy SLE 350CUI TBI engine (113K) TH700R4 (Under 10K) NP241 Transfer case 10 Bolt rear (3.73) 10 Bolt front (3.73) 4x4 operation
Previous owner decided that a telephone pole and a tree would be the best method to stop his truck from rolling ('98).
Engine starts, he says it runs smooth. This is just my preliminary look, so I didn't ask him to start it.
I may be able to own the entire truck for around $500.
What would it take to stuff this 2x4 engine into my 4x4 1990 GMC FS Jimmy with a non-comptuer controlled transmission, and OBD I as apposed to OBD II? Remember that I will be recieving the entire truck - so harneses/processors/et all. will be available.
Things that I think will be a problem: Tranny mount? Will I be able to attach the "riser" or whatever from my tranny to the end of the 4L80E then attach my NP241 to that, or will I need adapters? Will I need to cut a new drive shaft? Isn't their posi traction the one that needs a 200RPM difference between the 2 wheels, so it's kind of annoying? But I would asume still better then completely open. Will the axle from the '98 be able to bolt up to the '90? I'm asuming all I would need to do is get an adapter U-joint, maybe new U-bolts to attach to my springs after I cut the old ones. My truck is slightly sagging in the rear, would the springs off the '98 fit? I realize it wouldn't be as smooth a ride, and I'm not looking to increase my GMVW - just looking to be cheap. If I also remember correctly this engine is the one with the intake manifold leak problem, so whilst the engine is out I should probably look into replacing this? Any other things I'm missing, besides the fact that I'm crazy?
The following are the RPO codes I cannot find: R74, VXS, XD3, 131, 6XD, 7XD
The following are the RPO codes I have decoded: AE7 60/40 Front Split Bench Seat, Driver, Passenger Easy Entry AM7 Seat, Rear Folding A20 Window: Rear Quarter Swing Out C60 HVAC System, Front Air Conditioning DE2 Mirror: O/S, LH & RH, Folding, Painted E63 Body Equipment, Fleetside Pickup Box FE9 Certification: Emission, Federal GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio G80 Rear Axle: Positraction JB7 Brake System: Power, Front Disc, Rear Drum, 8400 Lbs. KNP Transmission, Heavy Duty Cooling System K34 Cruise Control: Automatic, Electronic K60 Generator: 100 Ampere L31 Engine: 5.7 Liter V8, CPI MT1 Transmission: 4L80-E, 4-Speed Automatic, Electronic NA4 Emission System: GVW Above 8500 lbs NF2 Emission System: Federal, Tier 1 N33 Steering Column: Tilt Type UM6 Radio: AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Cassette, Clock, ETR (gone) UQ5 Speaker System 4, Dual Front Door Mounted, Dual Extended Range, Quarter Mounted VK3 License Plate, Front Mounting Package V43 Bumper, Rear Step, Painted V73 Vehicle Statement US/Canada XHH Tire: Front, LT245/75/R16E BL R/PE ST ALS (prolly not orig) X88 Conversion Name Plate -- CHEVROLET YD6 Rear Spring, Base Equipment YHH Tire: Rear, P245/75R16E BL R/PE ST ALS (prolly not orig) ZHH Tire: Spare LT245/75R16E BL R/PE ST ALS ZY1 Color Combination, Solid 13C Trim Combination Cloth, Light Gray 39U Primary Color Exterior, Indigo Blue Metallic U22 CLUSTER, INST, OIL COOL TEMP, BATTERY, CLOCK ZQ3 SALES PACKAGE, DRIVER CONVENIENCE II 1SA Option Package 01 GMC Plant code pontiac, mi, usa SLM Stock Orders 1SZ Value Group Savings R9A Control sales item 76 R9L Control sales item 87
The last two were nicked from a Corvette site, so I don't know if they apply (but then again, who knows that they mean either...)
Thank you so much for your oppinions.
~KJ/TLGM
C'mon, nothing from the peanut gallery? No "I thought you liked carbs" Nothing?
~KJ/TLGM

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

He's a braver man than I for trying to do this with a 4WD. Or a bigger fool. Time will tell....
lol When are you going to learn that "he" and "I" are the same person?
~KJ/ THE LONELY GREASE MONKEY
says...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Read it again. "I" is referring to me. IOW, I'm glad it's not me. Seriously, this isn't going to be an easy project. The engine is going to be plug and play, but you really need to get a look at a 4WD with the same tranny to get an idea where you are going. Drive shaft lengths can be fixed with money. For that matter, all of your problems can be fixed with money. How high you wanna fly?

How about the axle? I don't think he realizes he has a mudder's dream under there - if I can steal it should I? What would be involved in sticking his 14 bolt under my rig?
~KJ/TLGM
says...

which 14 bolt is under the truck? we have a '98 8600lbs C2500 at work and it has the semifloating 9.5" 14 bolt. the 9.5, while very strong, isn't what i'd call a mudder's dream. oh and btw.... just cuz its got 8 lugs doesn't mean it's got the 10.5, you have to remove the hub cap and look, or stick your head under the truck... if the cover isn't a diamond, it's the 9.5".
-Bret
Can't remember what it looks like. It would still be better then a 10 bolt and I bet I could steal it...
~KJ/TLGM
wrote:

under
his

What about an axle, a <insert part I cannot think of> the tranny... et all. It also is just one more hunka that's layin around though....
~KJ/TLGM

http://www.jagsthatrun.com /