1998 Chevy 4x4

Hi guy's I have a 1998 Chevy 4x4 pickup truck that I just bought. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it's safe to use the four wheel drive. My brother says I shouldn't use it when it's raining on pavement. But the truck spins when I take off from a stop when it's raining hard. So I want to use the four wheel drive when it's raining. Is this going to hurt my truck? It has a 350 motor with an automatic transmission.

Thanks Jill

Reply to
Jill

Taker' easy on the starts, or slam it harder and have fun spinnin the rubber. Ya aint used to that 350 yet, so I can understand spinnin them thar rubbers. 4x4 should be used in low traction: ice, snow, mud, loosely packed dirt roads. Rain isn't really low enough. Yes you can damage your 4x4 system by using it in high traction situations, unless very careful. The best way to use 4x4 is to get yourself unstuck when your doing donuts in the parking lot, or drifting around the corners in a storm. If you get stuck in 2x4, 4x4 with most likely save your ass. Have fun with your new rig!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Jill,

Your truck should have several drive options: 2-Hi, 4-Hi, 2-Low, and Auto4WD.

2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

4-Hi and 4-Lo should

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
jdoe

IIRC, 97' or 98' is when they started with the push button on FS trucks.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

My friend has I believe a 1998 1500 with the shift on the floor.... pretty sure it's a '98 anyways.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I have a '98 Burb and it is push-button. All the '98's I have seen are push-button 4 wheel drive. My '95 Pick-up was lever.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

FWIW my 2000 z71 is shift on the floor

Reply to
Charles H.

My '97 Z71 is pushbutton ,but they still made them both ways with lever or switch.

Charles H. wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Smith

my 96 3/4 ton has the button

Reply to
alasatian

I used to have a 96' that was push button.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

My 98 Silverado 1500 has the floor shifter

Reply to
Antennaman
2low? you are joking right? 2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow. Doc
Reply to
pete carb

they used the stick 4x4's on the new style silverado as well as the olser style.

2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow. Doc
Reply to
pete carb

No it was a typo! 4-low, although 2-low would be a gnarly feature for street racing........................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I had a wire to the front thermal actuator brake recently on my '98 Burb, and the front axle wouldn't engage. When I repaired it I ran some more wire to a switch, I put under the dash. When I go to 4-Lo and flip the switch, it will stop the front axle from engaging, giving me in effect 2-Lo.

This is great for backing up a trailer and moving around in tight spaces. I used it the other day backing a boat and trailer onto a car carrier trailer. (The boat trailer frame was broken). The gear ratio etc. was just right, all I had to do was keep my foot on the brake. When I let up on the brake it would creep slowly, even up the trailer ramp without having to give it any gas.

I have used 4-Lo in situations like this before, but steering is difficult on pavement as everyone knows.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

You get your 2low by twin sticking your NP205....... and doubling it with a

203 low range box.......... hehehehehe.....

Reply to
Demon