1998 Chevy 4x4

Hi guy's I have a 1998 Chevy 4x4 pickup truck that I just bought. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it's safe to use the four wheel drive. My brother says I shouldn't use it when it's raining on pavement. But
the truck spins when I take off from a stop when it's raining hard. So I want to use the four wheel drive when it's raining. Is this going to hurt my truck? It has a 350 motor with an automatic transmission.
Thanks Jill
Taker' easy on the starts, or slam it harder and have fun spinnin the rubber. Ya aint used to that 350 yet, so I can understand spinnin them thar rubbers. 4x4 should be used in low traction: ice, snow, mud, loosely packed dirt roads. Rain isn't really low enough. Yes you can damage your 4x4 system by using it in high traction situations, unless very careful. The best way to use 4x4 is to get yourself unstuck when your doing donuts in the parking lot, or drifting around the corners in a storm. If you get stuck in 2x4, 4x4 with most likely save your ass. Have fun with your new rig!
~KJ~

But
my

But
my
Jill,
Your truck should have several drive options: 2-Hi, 4-Hi, 2-Low, and Auto4WD.
2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow.
Doc

hurt
4-Hi and 4-Lo should
~KJ~

She may not have the push button, I test drove some subs with the lever type control and didn't notice an "autu" setting. Did I miss it? I passed on a couple subs because 1. I didn'tthink my wife could safely pull the lever and keep dring on that type rig (she's short) and 2. I liked the "auto" setting. Stick in that on ice/snow it's great! Larry

hurt

was
wheel
pavement.
mode
should
My friend has I believe a 1998 1500 with the shift on the floor.... pretty sure it's a '98 anyways.
~KJ~

So
I have a '98 Burb and it is push-button. All the '98's I have seen are push-button 4 wheel drive. My '95 Pick-up was lever.
--
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"
Charles H. wrote:

my 96 3/4 ton has the button
My 98 Silverado 1500 has the floor shifter

> IIRC, 97' or 98' is when they started with the push button on FS trucks.

I used to have a 96' that was push button.
Adair
they used the stick 4x4's on the new style silverado as well as the olser style.
Re: 1998 Chevy 4x4 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Apr 2, 2004, 5:11pm From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)
Hi guy's I have a 1998 Chevy 4x4 pickup truck that I just bought. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it's safe to use the four wheel drive. My brother says I shouldn't use it when it's raining on pavement. But the truck spins when I take off from a stop when it's raining hard. So I want to use the four wheel drive when it's raining. Is this going to hurt my truck? It has a 350 motor with an automatic transmission. Thanks Jill Jill, Your truck should have several drive options: 2-Hi, 4-Hi, 2-Low, and Auto4WD. 2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow. Doc
2low? you are joking right?
Re: 1998 Chevy 4x4 Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Apr 1, 2004, 9:26pm From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc)
Hi guy's I have a 1998 Chevy 4x4 pickup truck that I just bought. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it's safe to use the four wheel drive. My brother says I shouldn't use it when it's raining on pavement. But the truck spins when I take off from a stop when it's raining hard. So I want to use the four wheel drive when it's raining. Is this going to hurt my truck? It has a 350 motor with an automatic transmission. Thanks Jill Jill, Your truck should have several drive options: 2-Hi, 4-Hi, 2-Low, and Auto4WD. 2-Hi is 2WD (duh) and can be used anytime. Auto4WD is a dynamic 4WD mode and can be used all the time, even on dry pavement. 2-Hi and 4-Hi should only be used on gravel roads, muddy terrain and snow. Doc

I had a wire to the front thermal actuator brake recently on my '98 Burb, and the front axle wouldn't engage. When I repaired it I ran some more wire to a switch, I put under the dash. When I go to 4-Lo and flip the switch, it will stop the front axle from engaging, giving me in effect 2-Lo.
This is great for backing up a trailer and moving around in tight spaces. I used it the other day backing a boat and trailer onto a car carrier trailer. (The boat trailer frame was broken). The gear ratio etc. was just right, all I had to do was keep my foot on the brake. When I let up on the brake it would creep slowly, even up the trailer ramp without having to give it any gas.
I have used 4-Lo in situations like this before, but steering is difficult on pavement as everyone knows.
--
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"