1998 Chevy Silverado Not Always Starting

Good Morning

I own a 1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4 (5.7 with 62,000 miles) and for about the past 3 weeks my truck doesn't always start on the first couple of revolutions. If I let it crank out for about twice or three times as long, it starts. If I bring the key back midway and try starting it again, it starts.

If it dooesn't start right away the first time, it has always started right away the second time. I have tried this when the engine hasn't been run for 10 hours or 10 minutes. Sometimes it will start up right away, but for the most part, I have to turn the key back midway and try again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
mhalverson

Check fuel pressure and filte. You may have a plugged fuel fitler or pump going bad and it takes a while to build pressure.

SnoMan

Not sure if yours is the same as my '88... but I had a similar problem. When you turned on the key, the computer was supposed to run the fuel pump long enough to "pressurize" the fuel system... but once the engine was running, the fuel pump got it's power from the oil pressure switch. In my case, the relay inside the computer failed, so it was not "priming" the fuel system during start-up. It sounds like maybe yours is working sometimes... but not always? On my '88, you could put a jumper wire in the diagnostic plug to manually run the fuel pump before you started the engine... once it was running the oil pressure switch took over and it ran like normal. If you manually run the fuel pump before starting the engine... and it starts right up every time, I would look into the relay in the ECU (had to replace the computer). David

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
David Courtney

I had a similar problem the other day. The hottest day of the year here. the truck would start then stall and when I tried again it would start and run fine. This happened twice within 45 minutes of each time. Asked a friend about it and he suggested that it might be a fuel vacuum problem and simply open the gas cap and reseal it. It worked the rest of the day as the temperature rose higher.

snipped-for-privacy@owat>Good Morning

Reply to
Michael McNeil