1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 - Front Wheel Stud questions

I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 4x4 7.4L engine (gas) that I am experiencing some of the well documented brake issues. I need to remove the front rotors (warped again) and have a couple of questions that are not addressed in the service manual.

  1. Can I remove the wheel studs (carefully) with a good punch and hammer --- or do I really need to use a shop press as suggested in the service manual ? To re-install the studs I was planning on pulling them into place with a spare lug nut & washers.

  1. Do I need to replace all the wheel studs with new ones or can the old ones be re-used ? I wasn't sure if wheel studs were a "one time install only" type of thing.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
cr

I recently went through this with my 2000 K3500 which is same body style. The rotor kinda rotted away and came apart while pads were still good. You can punch the studs out as I did but I suggest that since you have to remove bearing assembly to remove rotor from behind that you replace bearing hub assembly while it is apart. Hub can be a pill to remove because the 4 grade 8 bolts holding it one are usually very tight and sometimes the heads are rusted and they are undersized for correct socket. It is a lot easier to remove axle shaft first to gain better access to the bolts. You need to remove stabilizer link to remove axle shaft. This can be a pill too and it is quicker to cut it off and get a new bolt kit for it for about 11 bucks rather than fuss with it sometimes. Also, I would replace the 4 bolts holding hub on. They are about 4 buck a piece at dealer and a wise investment. I also replaced my wheel studs as it cost me about 12 bucks for new ones and now bear/hub, rotor, ABS sensor and hardware is all new. One more thing. There is a inner seal that is in back of hub that seals around axle shaft CV cup. I would replace that too while it is apart. Do all this and you are good to go for a long time because being how hard it is to tear down, you want everything fresh in there when you are done so you do not have to go in there again for any reason for a very long time.

SnoMan

Let the Trolls desend as their egos and insecurities need to be feed....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong and doesn't want to admit it.)___________________________________________________________Snoman these are things YOU wrote.Don't like what YOU wrote?Then YOU should stop posting.
Reply to
Heatwave

Thanks for the tips. I had not considered replacing the 4 bolts and the inner seal. I agree - would rather replace some of these parts now and not have to go back in later.

Reply to
cr