1998 K1500 Fuel Pump

Hi Guys,

My truck has 110,000 on it and I ran to home depot today and when I came out, it was dead. Started fine at home. Normally when you turn the ignition on you here the fuel pump whine, now there is nothing. So I am assuming it is the pump assembly.

Anyone done one of these? I read somewhere that it is much easier to take the bed off then drop the tamk. However, the 18mm bolts holding the bed where put on by an impact and I don't have access to one currently in my garage.

Tips, tricks, ideas?

Thank You,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Kluth

Smack the bottom of the take with a short 2X4 and see if it starts. If it does the pump is bad and will fail. You may be able to drive some of the fuel out of it. Got about a week out of mine smacking the tank. I dropped the tank, everyone told me it was easier to remove the bed, but I was able to drop the tank with a piece of plywood and my floor jack. Getting the hoses off the top of the tank was the only problem.

Good luck,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al is right. My 98 Blazer did the same thing. The intank replacement was really expensive too. I went with OEM but was made aware of some aftermarket external pumps availabe afterwards that were quite a bit less money.

Reply to
Kerry

Reply to
Gary

Get a friend or three and lift the bed off, you will be better off. That is what I did.

Two people can lift off a short bed if they are fairly manly, otherwise four people. It is not to heavy but awkward to carry. If you have big tires on like I do, you can pop the wheels off and lower the truck down to so the bed doesn't have to be lifted so high.

For the bolts, get a long extension and a big cheater bar. if you break them off....they are 5 bucks each at GM.

If you do drop the tank, please get all the gas out first so when it lands on your head, it won't break your neck.

Reply to
News Skimmer

Pulling the bed vs pulling the tank is something I face on some trucks. For me pulling the bed safely is not a problem. I have a twin post, 4 arm frame pad style Lift. I can chain a bed to the lift arms and not worry about losing control of it. Although I always have a second person on hand to assist in this.

The reason most try pulling the bed is the fuel line connections to the sending unit. On trucks with out the plastic canister connection breaking the lines off is the fear. You can get the whole sending unit if you think that will be a problem. I'm not sure which style a 98 full size has.

It is best to drive out as much fuel as possible. Gasoline weights roughly 6.5 pounds per gallon. The fuel tank it's self is heavy enough when empty. If you remove the tank from the bottom, use a wood 4x4 or a peace of of plywood to support the tank on a jack (suck as a 3 ton floor jack) strapping the tank to the wood or jack is not a bad idea either.

I do this using a Transmission jack with the vehicle on my lift. Often I strap the tank, or have someone hold it in place. I have had a few tanks over the years fall. The weight is enough to divet concrete.

If your not accustom to dropping fuel tanks, try to have someone on hand to help out. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig