1998 K1500 - Help Replacing Transmission

My 1998 K1500 transmission is headed south (160k miles).

I can get a rebuild from a GM dealer for $1600.

Does anyone have any experience replacing the transmission and have any comments on the difficulty of the procedure? Is it necessary to remove any of the exhaust system?

Thanks.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey

Yes.

Reply to
wrench

Do you remember what exhaust components you had to remove when you swapped out your transmission? How difficult was it. I have always had issues working with exhausts because the bolts are usually seized up and I dont have a cutting torch. Thanks.

Forest

Reply to
Forest Hursey

I bought a Dremel for stuff like this. Be sure to get plenty of the cuttoff wheels, they go fast on bolts. Or you can use a hacksaw and wish you had a Dremel.

Reply to
Scott

Yes, the lead pipes had to be unbolted and dropped down. And yes, one of the studs popped. Not a fun day. Torch is the best bet. Heat the nuts, let them cool, then use a good solvent spray to soak them. But if the stud is already weak, it's gonna go no matter what.

Reply to
wrench